1999 Celebrity 190 - Engine Mount and Stringer Repair

tpenfield

Staff member
Very nice, thanks for the updates. Good thing you checked those engine mounts before you were ready to install. that would have been a bummer.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Will you be eating supper "At the Bilge" tonight? That thing is clean enuf to eat off of!!!!:lol: Very nice work!!!! How many coats of Gelcoat is that? How many are you gunna put down?

Last edited:

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will you be eating supper "At the Bilge" tonight? That thing is clean enuf to eat of of!!!!:lol: Very nice work!!!! How many coats of Gelcoat is that? How many are you gunna put down?

Worked in sections. Rolled on an initial layer to get good coverage, then went back over with a really thick final coat. The gel didn't run too much, so it was OK to work with on the vertical sections. My problem is that I bought waxed gel way back when I started this project, so rather than do multiple coats and have to sand in between, I just did it all at once. I checked it this morning, tough as nails.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Massive amounts of amazing progress...Looking fantastic!
The engine definitely looks brand new and it is going to look even better in its new home!

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Massive amounts of amazing progress...Looking fantastic!
The engine definitely looks brand new and it is going to look even better in its new home!

I'm getting giddy just thinking about it!

Thanks everyone!

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everything looks great. I have just now had time to sit down and check out your progress due to trying to get on the water myself. Your gel coat looks nice. I bought unwaxed but plan to add it on the final coat to get a good surface. I understand your pain with over/under cutting a piece. I did this on the nose of my deck and had to add a 3 inch strip to fill in.

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class
So much progress since the last update, I don’t even know where to start. Well, I’ll start with saying it’s been so crazy busy that I’ve neglected taking pictures along the way. We went camping last weekend, so I had to make a big push to get the boat “floatable”. Here is an exhaustive list of things that I remember doing since the last update, I’m sure I’m missing a lot of important points:

-Installed new carpet on deck and sides of hull
-Finished sanding/polishing the new gelcoat on rear of transom skin
-Cleaned up gimble housing/transom, had a local shop replace the lower shift cable (set me back a pretty penny)
-Installed the gimble housing with new transom gasket (that was a pain in the @$$)
-Set engine in place, aligned with gimble bearing
-Removed engine
-Drilled motor mount holes
-Installed engine, realigned, torqued everything, double checked alignment
-Reconnected all wiring, hoses, venting
-Cleaned up and installed the side panels and vinyl, installed new carpet on the base trim
-Installed new Kicker speakers
-Installed trim pieces for fuel tank inspection port and ski locker
-Cleaned up trim pump assembly, pic below, amazing what a little degreaser will do!
-Greased the gimble pivots, gimble bearing, coupler spline
-Replaced the upper shift shaft bushings and seals (too much play and seals were starting to go)
-Installed outdrive, topped up gear fluid
-Topped up trim and power steering fluid
-Purged trim system (it was exciting reconnecting the battery for some reason)
-Adjusted trim limit switch
-Attempted to adjust trim sending unit for gauge, but found out the seal was pinched and was rusted inside. Tried to clean it up but made it worse. A project for next year I suppose.
-Adjusted all shift cables as per my manual and google
-Installed seats, bench, sun deck, swim deck
-Fabbed new ski locker hatch, glassed both sides, wrapped in carpet
-Put some gas in the tank
-FIRST FIRE!!!!

More to come...

bvetter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just about to head out...

I was too excited and forgot to take any decent vids on the lake, next time.......

At this point, I just have to finish re-carpeting various engine compartment bulkheads, rear bench seat base. Also currently polishing the hull, it's coming out really nice and shiny. Gotta wax it. Also, bought a new bluetooth stereo, so gotta put that in too.

Mechanically, I still have a grinding in the drive when turning sharp in either direction. Gotta figure out weather it's u-joints or gimble bearing, both seemed to be in great shape when I had it apart.

atjohnson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm glad to see that everything has come together. Can't wait to join you. Hopefully it will be soon before I completely lose my mind.