1999 Bayliner Project

bear_69cuda

Commander
I've been lurking on this resto forum most of the time. There are some incredible people on this forum! I really respect and appreciate everyone's skills, talent and knowledge...

This isn't my first restoration. I did a 5 year nut and bolt resto of a 1969, 340 'Cuda. And now I have the bug to change this boat.

jse_side.jpg

jse_rear.jpg

jse_bear_340.jpg

For starters, so I can get into the water by spring, I plan to remove carpet, and texture paint the deck. Then have new carpet binded and made to be snapped in. I'm also in the process of adding many new electrical systems into the boat. I've been reading threads about what other's have done and are in process of, but I'm sure I'll have some questions.

I know this is only a Bayliner Capri, but I love the lines, and I have a soft spot for this boat in my heart... Plus I always seem modify everything so I can't help it!

jse_rear_boat.jpg

I finally got my boat in the garage, not 30 miles away!

jse_transfer_28OCT08_697.jpg

I'm strartin to pull the carpet today!

Check it out.

Last edited:

buckeyboy

Seaman
Re: 1999 Bayliner Project

:D
I've been lurking on this resto forum most of the time. There are some incredible people on this forum! I really respect and appreciate everyone's skills, talent and knowledge...

This isn't my first restoration. I did a 5 year nut and bolt resto of a 1969, 340 'Cuda. And now I have the bug to change this boat.

For starters, so I can get into the water by spring, I plan to remove carpet, and texture paint the floors. Then have new carpet binded and made to be snapped in. Then I'd like to paint (roll) a stripe on both sides... I'm also in the process of adding many new electrical systems into the boat. I've been reading threads about what other's have done and are in process of, but I'm sure I'll have some questions.

I know this is only a Bayliner Capri, but I love the lines, and I have a soft spot for this boat in my heart... Plus I always seem modify everything so I can't help it!

I finally got my boat in the garage, not 30 miles away!

I'm strartin to pull the carpet today!

Check it out.
great photos and cudos on the cuda,:p pardon the pun
Boat looks to be in excellent shape what all the restoration, sounds like ya got the bug:D

bear_69cuda

Commander

Future plans are to change seating to a bench/sundeck style rear configuration, Add swivel captain style seats at helm and port side front, instead of back to back type.

Then find a Donner 4.3 mpi,, 5.0 or 5.7, and re-power/gear the boat. I know, I know, just buy a boat made like this... But I want it in my boat.:D

Here are some pre-resto photos

jse_transfer_28OCT08_535.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_554.jpg

And a pic of Madison WI, and the Frank Loyd Wright Center on Lake Menona

jse_Mad-City.jpg

Last edited:

buckeyboy

Seaman

Future plans are to change seating to a bench/sundeck style rear configuration, Add swivel captain style seats at helm and port side front, instead of back to back type.

Then find a Donner 4.3 mpi,, 5.0 or 5.7, and re-power/gear the boat. I know, I know, just buy a boat made like this... But I want it in my boat.:D
ahhh yep you got the Bug. Cool I love projects myself.. nothing more satisfieng then saying I built it.. best wishes by the looks of that Cuda you will do a fine job

bear_69cuda

Commander

Good news my deck seems to be in good condition. A few knots have seen a tad of water but are dry. I tried stabbing a screwdriver (lots of force) and could not get through.

jse_transfer_28OCT08_706.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_707.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_710.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_704.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_702.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_703.jpg

So my options are as follows,

If I don't need to remove factory adhesive, can I vinyl over the deck as is? Or is it best to remove adhesive, seal deck with paint or epoxy, then vinyl?

And to remove adhesive do some patching work, paint and install snap in carpet. i eventually will be removing seat boxes and redesigning engine bay so both are temporary for the most part. Also my fishing deck is finished with the carpet I plan on using for snap-in if I go that route...

Can I install a drain into the bilge, so the deck can be washed down?

Any opinions or comments are really appreciated!

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

A few pics of my stern storage boxes taken before I got the boat into garage...

jse_transfer_28OCT08_656.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_656.jpg

Some cool pics when the boat came home for the first time!!!!

jse_transfer_28OCT08_688.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_690.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_689.jpg

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cool a Baylinner I love these boats. I have a 88 cuddy.5.0 still wanting to put it in the water.Went lifevest looking today.Changed gimbal yesterday.1 tep at a time. Keep posting I need more insperation.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I finished removing the port and starboard interior side panels for easy access running trolling motor, stereo, trim gauge, and depth finder wiring. I'm cashed for this weekend. I've spent the last hour trying to remove the last screw that holds the bow rail side pads in, and cleaning cob-webs and other unpleasent dead bugs and junk stuck in them... :(

I'm leaning toward the painted deck and snap-in carpet.

Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander

I think I've decided go with Durabak painted deck, and snap in binded carpet. I've read good things, I love the looks, and may end up removing the carpet on my seat boxes and the sides of the boat as well, and painting this product everywhere...

What is a good product to fill imperfections in the deck before I paint? Bondo?

Does anyone have advice for removing adhesive? I've been reading threads using a grinder with a cup wire brush attached... And the chemical route. The adhesive on my deck is still sticky, so I may try a combination of both. The stuff does not want to be scraped off at all!

Also, what about adding a drain, so when I wash the deck down I can squeegee water into the bilge. Is the a better place than others to place a drain?

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

May sound crazy, but hand sanitizer is known for removing adhesives. I'm not sure how effective it would be in this circumstance, but you never know.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Alcohol or Acetone will remove most anything sticky. Pick some up a quart at the local hardware or auto parts stores.

And don't forget both are very flamable. The boat holds the vapors. One spark and BOOM! Best to have a fan pointed into the boat to blast the vapors out.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Carpet Adhesive removal frustrations...

Well so far I've tried 4 techniques.

Goof Off Citrus crap: Makes glue boogers, you cant scrape it at all, and water is needed to clean off... PITA but smells good.

Mineral spirits: I think this solubilizes everything including the fiberglass resin and old paint into one sticky mess...

Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Eats Nitrile gloves, even with a respirator this stuff seems like liquid death... It removes the glue, but I'm not sure if I want to go this route. I'm unsure if I just poor the crap on the deck and sop it up with paper towels?

I've tried a paint scraper with good luck, but still feel residue is left over and my compromise Durabak adhesion.

My friend is bringing a grinder to work tomorrow, so I my try that, and wipe remaining residue off with acetone.

I'm also curious what anyone would recommend to fill knots in wood decking, and to smooth out semi large imperfections in the deck? I was thinking about coating the entire bottom of the boat in resin, then sanding/scuffing the surface before application of Durabak? Bondo? Epoxy? Help???

bear_69cuda

Commander

Update:

Grinder with cup wire brush makes short work of carpet adhesive, plus also grinds, and helps shape sloppy factory fiberglass/resin spills...

Decided to not glass for now.

Will do some patch fill work with formula 27 mastic /plastique filler, sand and smooth out rough spots.

Poly coat raw unprotected wood knots and such other bare areas..

I still plan on using durabak not only on the deck, but also the seat boxes, engine compartment, and side wall of the bow. I'll either roll, or possibly sprayed on. Spraying may be good for filling imperfections.

I'll either go with off white / cream color, or light grey...

Then cut templates from old carpet, get new carpet binded, add snaps, and off to electrical project.

If anyone has any comments or advice, I'm open... Never done any of this...

Here are some pics.

jse_transfer_28OCT08_713.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_733.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_713.jpg

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Looks like the boat has a good coat of poly resin on it. You're doing a great job of cleanup. Have you read the threads on marine vinyl for the deck? Marideck and Nautolex products look very appealing to me. I'm still torn between glassing/gel coat the deck and vinyl.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Unless I can patch some holes with filler, I may need to do some glassing after all. Grinding has reveled some places that very little glass was applied, especially on some edges and corners. I've got some holes to deal with.:( I think since the factory intended carpet in the boat, not much in the way of finish work, to the deck, motor and seat boxes. It makes the thought of vinyl appealing. It would cove everything... But I think I'm sold on durabak and snap-in carpet. If I do some patching work with glass, will the poly and glass bond well with the older paint and glass? do I need to grind it all away? Or will the etching created with the wire cup brush, be enough for good adhesion?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My Bayliner looks like the deck was done with a chopper gun. The aft portion is very thick, anywhere from 1/8"-1/4" thick and rather uneven. In the area of the seats and forward, the glass gets thin, although everything I can see where the carpet is pulled up is still gel coated.

Its not unusual for corner areas to get missed with a chopper gun. Unless they were digent when rolling it out, there can be thin spots.

You can apply some mat with resin for more water protection in the thin areas if you want.

bear_69cuda

Commander

i think I'll do that. How thick of mat?

So a chopper gun shoots chopped glass over resin? That's what my floor looks like as well...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

i think I'll do that. How thick of mat?

So a chopper gun shoots chopped glass over resin? That's what my floor looks like as well...

A chopper gun is a little more sophisticated than it was in the 60's, but it still does the same thing: takes in continous feed of glass fiber, chopps it to preset length, mixes hardner w/resin and sprays it all out. After that, usually the resulting mat/resin mix gets rolled out to compress it down and squeeze out air pockets. If not, its an expanded mesh with no strength. That condition is often found in corners where someone was too lazy to roll it down. Now they are computer animated and are used from boats to hot tubs to shower stalls.

If you want to add some mat, I think 6 or 8 oz would do it. Then lay some light weight cloth on top if you want a really smooth surface. Check out oops' hull extension thread. In there somewhere he does the deck of his boat in just this fashion.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Update.

grinding away... Needed new wire cup brush today. Also a second grinder... Sounds like the first 24 hours have beat the first one to death... Got them on sale $30 ea. glass cannot be good for electrical motors...

Here are some pics.

jse_transfer_28OCT08_720.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_726.jpg

The seams that opened up while grinding.

jse_transfer_28OCT08_721.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_728.jpg

jse_transfer_28OCT08_731.jpg

Decided to remove all carpet. This way I can roll or spray Durabak further up the sides, then use the carpet to create the border... I plan on adhering carpet back on the sides of the boat...

finally, some pics of the electronics, I'll be adding after deck is finished. I've got clear plexi plates cut to mount these items to the boat.

jse_transfer_28OCT08_723.jpg

Last edited: