1999 Alpha coupler bolts hitting flywheel housing Update pics loaded

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1999 alpha gen 2 That I am repowering from a 5.0 to a 5.7. I replaced the coupler and the kit I got had new hardware in it. When I installed the coupler to the flywheel I used the included hardware It had the flat trapazoid washer and a lockwasher for each bolt. Only when I installed the motor and cranked it over the bolts must be hitting the flywheel housing in some spots. Anyone ever run into this? I am going to pull the motor tomorrow as is is raining cats and dogs right now. I am kinda pissed as I was not going to use the lockwashers cause I hate them and the factory did not use them but i thought they came with the coupler I better use them. Boy was I wrong

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 1999 Alpha coupler bolts hitting flywheel housing

where the new bolts longer than the old ones??

Thats kinda rookie... you should have caught that before you put the motor in.

Ya also should have spun the motor over by hand with the plugs out before you installed it.

I'd be pissed to!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After you fix the coupler, run the engine on the ground before you put it in the boat. Then you can be sure everything works ok.
I just set the motor mount on some blocks of wood so the engine sits level, hook up fuel and water, hot wire the ignition and start it up. Then you can set timing, adjust everything and check for leaks before you install it.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

where the new bolts longer than the old ones??

Thats kinda rookie... you should have caught that before you put the motor in.

Ya also should have spun the motor over by hand with the plugs out before you installed it.

daaaaaammmmnnnn Rough crowd round here...

If that's what it is, I probably wouldn't have caught it either.... Good luck with it!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

daaaaaammmmnnnn Rough crowd round here

Sowwy... still workin on the 1rst cup of coffee here :)

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

I feel rookie right now. Well I did yesterday. But you guys are right Stupid for not spinning the motor before sticking it in. The bolts are not longer but the heads are bigger add that to putting stupid lockwashers under the heads must have taken all the space up in the housing. What pisses me off is that they put them in the hardware pack when you can't use them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just out of curiosity, where did the flywheel come from? Was it from the 5.0L engine? You are blaming the hardware kit, but you have also changed engines, and you may have some other problem causing the lack of clearance.

Bondo

Staff member

What pisses me off is that they put them in the hardware pack when you can't use them.

Ayuh,.... This brings up My question,....

Who's coupler kit with this hd'wre package,..??

Ditto the flywheel questions above,..??

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Flywheel and housing came off the 5.0 that was in the boat. Coupler is the only change. GLM coupler go figure. I feel the extra height from the lockwashers is the culprit. I will know tomorrow when I pull it and will post some pics.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Only when I installed the motor and cranked it over the bolts must be hitting the flywheel housing in some spots

Outa curiousity... and sorry about the rookie comment... but after you dropped the motor in did you spin it by hand or with the starter? Did you install the drive as well? Is the engine only spinning part of the way over then lock up or does it crank normally with a racket of a noise comming from the bellhousing area?
Just wondering if there's more than meets the eye here. As Bubba kind of hinted, there's plenty of room in there. Head size of the bolt shouldn't matter.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

I tried with a ratchet with no drive and it was hard to turn but no noise. It spun right over with the starter.It even started but made a racket. I did not even get the drive on yet. I aligned the coupler and bumped the starter over to check it in different places. The scraping is not constant but it hits in three spots when you crank the motor with a ratchet. The motor spun fine right before I installed the flywheel, coupler and flywheel housing. It my haste I did not spin the motor before setting it in the boat. There is nothing else in the housing that would cause this. I know the sound is coming from the housing cause I can feel it with my hand when spinning the motor over with the ratchet. It really dosen't matter as I am sure from the sound I will see the scraping when I get inside.

I just was wondering if anyone else ever ran into this.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Pics say it all Not too much room in there. Oh and by the way the coupler run out was out of spec so I am getting a new one tomorrow. GLM Crap

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu335/jy118lfd/couplerhousing.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu335/jy118lfd/couplerhousing3.jpg

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu335/jy118lfd/couplerhousing2.jpg

EDIT: Don S
I changed the pictures to links because of the size. In the future, resize the pictures before posting.

Thanks Don I thought I resized them for forums. I took them mwith a cellphone I never thought they would be that large.

Last edited by a moderator:

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 Alpha coupler bolts hitting flywheel housing Update pics loaded

Did those bolts come in the kit? They are flange bolts. Built in washer so to speak. you don't need the split ring washers.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

You will run into a variety of bolts in your travels into maintenance.
Noted above, you're using lock washers (split washers) with flanged bolts.
Split washers are used as a locking devise.
Flanged bolts, using a serrated washer (locking devise) don't use a secondary locking devise (split washer).
Why would you design a locking devise (locking devise keeps the bolt from loosening up) into a fastener system?
This maintenance stuff works way better when the bolts don't loosen up.
The scrapes on the bell housing look deep enough to be caused by a split washer.
Identifying hardware becomes an art form.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

The bolts are flange bolts but don't have sereated edges. I use what came in the kit with the coupler. I am putting factory bolts and coupler in the motor. Mercruiser uses a grade 8 bolt and the trapazoid washer torqued to spec. No lock washer. The factory bolts have a dab of locktite on them though.