1999 5hp mariner 4 stroke throttle cables adjustment

I finally got my 1999 5 hp mariner serial number 0R012108 RUNNING but when I accelerate it slows and when I slow it down it goes fast then slow again... does any one know the proper turns for each cable. Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• photo280618.jpg
    photo280618.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0

tommarvin

Ensign
Nope, I would get a factory service manual so you can work on your motor.
If its a four stroke carb, you can watch the butterfly(s) open and close when you turn the throttle.
Did the motor run before with the current cable setting position,if so you have dirty carbs, something's dirty from sitting, or lack of maintance

I just bought a new carb, fuel pump and impeller. It was running before but the old carb jet was stripped and the jet was like 20 Bucks and for 80 i could get a new carb so I just bought a carb. Do you know if or where I can get a free service manual?

tommarvin

Ensign
boatinfo.no/lib/library html
Sometimes it works ,sometimes it doesn't.You could google free service manuals.
Good for you to buy the new carb, It aint that easy to clean and rebuild a carb, lots of posts have problems.
You should go through your whole motor clean and replace all the standard yearly routine maintance stuff,
Gear lube with new washers/seals
Clean plugs with toothbrush and cleaner,regap,test with multimeter.
New USCG A1 fuel lines, not sure you need a fuel water separator on a five horse,
New on motor fuel filter,
New fuel primer bulb,
You don't need to clean your new carb,
Long story short its lack of maintance, dirty fuel system.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
boatinfo.no/lib/library html
Sometimes it works ,sometimes it doesn't.You could google free service manuals.
Good for you to buy the new carb, It aint that easy to clean and rebuild a carb, lots of posts have problems.
You should go through your whole motor clean and replace all the standard yearly routine maintance stuff,
Gear lube with new washers/seals
Clean plugs with toothbrush and cleaner,regap,test with multimeter.
New USCG A1 fuel lines, not sure you need a fuel water separator on a five horse,
New on motor fuel filter,
New fuel primer bulb,
You don't need to clean your new carb,
Long story short its lack of maintance, dirty fuel system.

Balderdash! Stop spewing the same worthless advice.