1999 4-stroke 9.9HP - remove lower engine cover

Prospect0r

Cadet
Ok this is a totally stupid question... how do you get the bolt under the aft end grab handle off this engine? I am trying to remove the cover and I can't even get a socket on that thing. is there some Jedi mindtrick to this or something? Universal joints won't get in there, wrenches can't go around corners, nothing works.

Any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 4-stroke 9.9HP - remove lower engine cover

Could you post a pic of the area your talking about ??

Prospect0r

Cadet

Could you post a pic of the area your talking about ??

I wish I could, but if I tried all you would see is the grab-handle.

Even the parts diagram does not show the location of this bolt so that would be no use either.

If you follow the seam on the back of the engine where the two lower covers come together, it goes down from the latch to hold the top cover in place, through the grab handle, and then down to some sort of a rubber gasket/bumper.

Between the rubber bumper and the gasket there is a bolt that holds the two halves of the lower cover in place. It is on the inside of the cover. I can't find anything that will reach in to the head of that bolt. I think its an 8mm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let me do some further checking and I'll get back to you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I looked at the parts diagrams and they show 6 mm bolts. Are you useing 1/4 " drive tools ? If you were here I know I could help you.

Prospect0r

Cadet

I looked at the parts diagrams and they show 6 mm bolts. Are you useing 1/4 " drive tools ? If you were here I know I could help you.

Yup 1/4" drive tools. With a universal, there isn't enough room to set the socket on teh head of the bolt. With a 1-1/2" extension, I cant twist it around to get on the bolt. With just the socket, its too short to reach past the handle.

And you are working blind down there.

Ill figure this out eventually. Jsut hoping someone had a magic trick mo getting it off is all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you tried a 1/4 " drive "deep" socket or a "flex" scocket of the bolt head size ??

Prospect0r

Cadet

Have you tried a 1/4 " drive "deep" socket or a "flex" scocket of the bolt head size ??

I was thinking the deep drive last night as I fumbled around down there. I'll stop at a tool place and pick one up today. I haven't heard of a flex socket before though. At 8mm its a little small for a deep socket but I can hope.