1999 120 Hp Sport Jet, No start when warm

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here we go. Boat starts fine when cold.<br />After it warms up, you shut it off, it does not want to start unless you bypass the autoenrichment system. And even when you do that, if you bring it back to idle to soon after starting, the engine stumbles and dies. I purchases the manual from Mercury and read on the auto about how it works. I have also noted that these engines have stator problems (Mine is black)I have contacted the Dealer and Mercury, neither have helped much, other then to say bring it down. Can anyone give me a little help on this.

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 1999 120 Hp Sport Jet, No start when warm

Try running it without the cover or with the blower on to keep it cool..sounds like your fuel is boiling in the lines.<br /><br />Also...check the spark when this happens.<br /><br />And yes...its common for the black stators to fail.<br /><br />TMD

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll try that this weekend if it ever stops raining up here. Do you have anymore info on the auto enricher system. From what I have been able to read out of the book, there is a wax pellet that melts and shuts off the choke, is it possible this unit has failed, and is dribbling fuel into the lower carburator from the enricher. (those plugs show a rich condition). From what I have also read the stator supplies 1 and 3, 2 and 4 with spark, not 3 and 4. Is there anything that I can back flush the motor with to help clean out the cooling lines?? and make the motor run cooler?? I do it with water after all saltwater trips and most lake trips. Keep the thoughts coming and I will try your ideas as well as my own.

B_Eager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the rain held off long enough to get out last night after work. Tried you ideas, no difference. So I went for the autoenricher, after the boat was warmed up good, I pinched off the fuel line between the upper carburator bowl (fuel sourch for the enricher) and the enricher itself. ran the boat around the lake a few more times, shut it off, and it restarted on no more then the third try each time, with no stumbling after restart at idle. I will try it again this weekend to make sure when we have more time. Are there any further tests I can do to test this. How to I test the stator for proper voltage to the enricher, How do I test the enricher.