1999 115 johnson descends by itself after a few days

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed that my engine descends by itself after a few days. I have it in my garage at the cottage have the engine tilted maybe half way up and then when i came back a week later it descended all the way back down . I raised it again last week and after a few days it descends again. What should i check for ? Lack of power trim fluid ? I can raise the engine up and down without any problems even stand on the on the engine at a semie tilt and it wont lower but after a few days it will descend back down.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 115 johnson descends by itself after a few days

The seals in the tilt trim are starting to leak by and will go bad faster if the motor is left in a up position and not supported by a transom saver or other means. There is alot of pressure put on the tilt trim when in the water and out running and with the motor weight being on the system all the time ,the seals will leak just that much faster. JMO
Oldman570

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, Seals are starting to go bad. However, leaving the motor tilted is not going to wear the seals, as the motor is at most a few pounds on the PTT system, versus hundreds of pounds on the PTT system, when trimmed under full throttle.

The seals should be avail from a dealer or elsewhere for about $50. Use a spanner to open the PTT cylinder and replace them. Look for burrs on the trim rods and cylinders, as these will tear up the new seals.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I think i might bring in the spring to get it done and also for the impeller.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also have a bad manual release valve on that mtr. Been there.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could it be the small gasket on that valve ?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Possible. Or there is an internal leak in the valve it self.

phillnjack2

Ensign

just have a look at the trim unit, if no oil is leaking from the rams then its like boobie has said above.
the wiper that is supposed to stop anything getting in/out would be under enough pressure with a leak to
weep oil for sure.

I would check what Boobie says first,its the easiest option and will also come in the kit of seals if you need them.

ive just recently had to get 2 rams and a set of seals, once you get a spanner to undo them its not that bad a job.

but check the release valve first.
might even be not tightened up enough !!!

phill

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Or there is an internal leak in the valve it self.
Zactly what's going on here. Fyi the wrench for my DeWalt 4" angle grinder doubles as a spanner for OMC trim cylinders.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just a little info. In the OMC service manual for trouble shooting a leak down for that unit, the first thing they tell you is to replace the manual relief valve and try it. I always kept a spare in my tool box for testing.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys ! Once i get back up to the cabin i will check it out. I didnt see any oil leak from the rams so maybe its the manual relief valve ! Jeez i just check out the price for that valve $70 + shipping.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you do replace the valve don't forget to remove the snap ring first.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a update last weekend I unscrewed the screw on the oil reservoir and some oil came out with air. Tightened it back up trimmed the motor up and down and 7 days later It has maintained the same trim level without going down. Could be that it was just air trapped in the system ?