1998 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke... surging .. missfire

bag007

Seaman
Ok .. motor has run like a dream.. However, when we took it out last week it would die at idle. Ok... got home ... adjusted idle and it seemed to be ok. Out on the water today.. wouldnt start... carb flooded gas came out of the top when pumping primer bulb. sticky float i thought and then it was ok. Ok... tried to start it it wouldnt... pulled plug leads they were loose not propery seating on the top of the plug.... The leads have those "spring" time connectors..... there didnt seem to be much contact with the plug wire and the connector... Same with the bottom plug.. tighted them... with good old pliers. It seemed to run ok for a while then started surging and missing... could these spark plug connectors be the cause.. if so is it ok to solder the plug wire to the connector and "squash" the sping so its snug on the plug....
I am going to clean the carbs... need a little help on the plug lead problem... Thanks...

bag007

Seaman
Re: 1998 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke... surging .. missfire

Ok .. motor has run like a dream.. However, when we took it out last week it would die at idle. Ok... got home ... adjusted idle and it seemed to be ok. Out on the water today.. wouldnt start... carb flooded gas came out of the top when pumping primer bulb. sticky float i thought and then it was ok. Ok... tried to start it it wouldnt... pulled plug leads they were loose not propery seating on the top of the plug.... The leads have those "spring" time connectors..... there didnt seem to be much contact with the plug wire and the connector... Same with the bottom plug.. tighted them... with good old pliers. It seemed to run ok for a while then started surging and missing... could these spark plug connectors be the cause.. if so is it ok to solder the plug wire to the connector and "squash" the sping so its snug on the plug....
I am going to clean the carbs... need a little help on the plug lead problem... Thanks...

OK.. update... ran motor this am on muffs... idle was a little high and it was misfiring at idle... So got new plugs changed them out pushed on leads .. the appeared tight.... cleaned the carbs... started ... same problem... so I checked everything and the spark plug boots and aain found the darn spring connectors slipping off.. so.. stripped them down refitted the springs to the leads.. refitted and they were now tight. Before as soon as the motor started the spark plug boots wiggled free from the vibration..
Fired up the motor and no more misfireing.. let it run for 20mins no problems... SO heres hoping its ok as i chase those redfish.... ok.... as they pee their sides laughing at my feeble fishing technique...!!