1998 Johnson 50 SPL has been run with Fuel mix and VRO still attached. Problem?

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a skiff with a 1998 Johnson 50 SPL and the PO said that she "never used" the oil injection system and had been mixing the fuel at 32:1. When I looked into the console - the oil reservoir is a little less than half full and still connected to the motor. It would seem that it's still being used. I'm unsure of what to do. Leave it on? Run it with the fuel mix alone. Not sure what the right answer is.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1998 Johnson 50 SPL has been run with Fuel mix and VRO still attached. Problem?

I would suggest getting an OMC manual. There is quit and extensive chapter dedicated to the VRO use, setup and maintenance of the unit, Much more than I care to write about that you will understand. Doing it wrong can lead to major damage.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Johnson 50 SPL has been run with Fuel mix and VRO still attached. Problem?

You need to be absolutely sure of what is going on here.---------Lucky you that the mix was at 32:1 as that means that likely there is little internal wear on the motor.-----Follow the oil line from the tank and see if it goes into the VRO unit.--------It may be blocked off there and the VRO is used to pump the mixed fuel from the main tank.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

There should be 2 hose connections, one goes to the fuel tank and the other goes to the oil resivoir. There should also ba a sight glass to the oil pump to assure that the oil is reaching the pump. The line from the pump to the resiivoir also needs to be purgded ever time it is disconnected. The manual lists the procedure for doing this correctly.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's still connected at the motor. I guess I'll have to see if it's been disconnected inside the console. From all appearances it seems to still be fully functional.

sDSC04784.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Follow that bottom hose. It maybe disconnected inside at the VRO pump and then the pump shoukd akso be plugged off if disabled. Then there will be a wire harness that goes to the alarms that also shoukd be unplugged if disabled. Then coming down from the pump there should be a clear sight glass that will show if oil is reaching the pump.

Shopevinrude.com will have a nice parts breakdown for you to look at and get an idea of what you're looking at.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got some pictures of the VRO. Looks pretty installed to me.. But then again - I've never seen one before.

sDSC04938.jpgsDSC04939.jpgsDSC04940.jpgsDSC04941.jpgsDSC04942.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Every thing is black.-Hard to see.-------Answer this question.------Is that bottom hose ( oil hose ) going into that VRO pump ??----That yellow clip would normally be used to block that hose.-------Use your manual to determine if that hose goes into the back of the pump !!

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll take a better look here soon. It's so hard when the boat is so far away. Always takes me a while. Plus I'm in the process of ripping up the deck.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the tips. I posted some pictures of the motor in the following thread. I'm looking for general advice on what maintenance to look into first. I have both the owners manual and the E/J shop manual. Though hearing things from other owners is always helpful.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/help-identifying-johnson-j50tslecc-new-motor-me-643615.html

There should be everything you need to know between those manuals to trouble shoot/ repair and getting it operational. They can be much more discriptive than I ever could be.

The one I have is a Generation 1 and yours should be a Generation 2 to which there were a number of improvements made to then.

As to run it or disconnect it is entirely up to you. Personnally I plan on fixing and using mine.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I finally got a snapshot of the line and traced it from the oil supply tank to the VRO. It certainly seems to be attached and there are no interruptions in the line. Looks to me as if it has been run with fuel mix as well as the VRO.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fill the oil reservoir. Now mix gas and oil at a 50::1 ratio, and fill the fuel tank. Run the motor for a few hours and see how much oil is used out of the reservoir. Refill the fuel tank with 50::1 and see if the OMS Oil Injection pump (That is what you should have, if original equipment), has also mixed the fuel between 50-60::1. If so, you can test the OMS Alarms and stop mixing oil with the gasoline.

Just so you know, 32::1 is way more oil than is necessary. The motor needs only 50::1. It will run fine on 25::1, which is what you will be giving it, provided the Oil injection is working, for your tesing.