1998 Johnson 225 stalls when accelerating

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
It would be worth doing the basic compression and spark verificaton. Spark needs to jump 3/8" + open air gap using a purpose built tester.
This will set a baseline.

daselbee

Commander
Plugs are pretty nasty looking. Both of them. Almost looks like aluminum deposits on the whitest one.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Plugs are pretty nasty looking. Both of them. Almost looks like aluminum deposits on the whitest one.
I wasn't going to say anything as I am no expert, but for a 2 cycle those are awfully dry right?

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
I got a chance to take it out again, and both problems are occurring on the same cylinder so I am assuming it is the same issue causing each. This time however, instead of missing all of the time above around 2500 rpms, it would begin to fire again around 4000 rpms and above.

I had tested the compression and the numbers were:

90 100
100 98 (this is the cylinder with the problems)
92 95
These numbers seem okay for this motor but wanted a second opinion.

I will do the spark test when I get the chance, but I need to get a spark tester.

Thanks for the help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The white sparkplug indicates poor spark / no fuel / too much fuel.-----Have to ask, have you looked into crankcase compression issues ??

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
I was able to take it out today and put a timing light on it while on the water. It looks like the issue is in the ignition system. The cylinder had no spark at higher rpms. I had swapped the coil with one from another cylinder, and the problem remained on the same cylinder. Is this a problem with the power pack?