1998 Evinrude twin 150s...good motors?

jeuto

Cadet
I want to buy a boat with twin 150 1998 Evinrude motors. Does any one have any comments in regard to those specific motors; do they have any known issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.<br />J

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 Evinrude twin 150s...good motors?

Are they injected or carb'd?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Be very afraid. 1998 V6 Ficht have reputation for blowing up. Not a case of 'will it?', but rather a case of 'when?'.

jeuto

Cadet

Well I spent some time with the Evinrude people and they said they would check the serial number to see if the motors were "upgraded" with a kit that makes them a 2000 year motor. The company replaced the some 98-99 models (especially 150-175HP) with a free kit if you were an owner and asked for it. I don't think they went out of their way to let people know they could have it done but they at least did it. The issue was something about soot building up in the cylinders and causing cylinder failure. Apparently soot is very abrasive. Rand McNally the president of the company (funny name...atlas guy?) said that if your motor made it past 100HRS it will probably be a good motor but who would want a potential "blowup" motor hanging over their head everytime you start the darn thing.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Go to the red search at the top of the page and enter FICHT as a search arguement - - use the johnson/evinrude problems section. Read away ---------

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OMC went way out of their way to try to correct the early motors. They actually sent factory teams out into the field to fix them.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

The only Ficht engine I would consider owning is one made after Bombardier bought the remains of OMC

jeuto

Cadet

This is a reply to Solittle; you are right there is a myriad of things to read, some compelling evidence against the motors. I called the Evinrude company with the motor serial numbers they both had a kit ordered for them. So if they have a kit, they have good compression and they sound good are they still a gamble?

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I looked at that same engine a couple of years ago. I read all the "stuff" about them on the forum and decided that it just wasn't worth the risk. I'm the kind of person who would have always been wondering about the reliability issue whenever I fired it up. If you decide to go with them, I hope you have good luck.<br />Stalker

jeuto

Cadet

It is ironic that everything seemed to fall into place (good boat/price) and then I read about those motors, I am having third doubts about them even though they seem to be in perfect shape. I wonder if whatever usually went wrong with that particular motor... with a kit actually did go wrong what would be an approximate cost to fix them? I wonder, if they are so unreliable maybe they would be plenty of spare parts out there? Man I am up in the air.

phatmanmike

Captain

if youre not 110% sure, just walk away. there are many more boats out there. be patient, daniel-son

jeuto

Cadet

That makes total sense but the only way I am going to be 110% sure is if I spend 30-40K for a boat. I love the water too much to wait for that day to come. There lies the dilemma, however there is wisdom in at least waiting for a Safe bargin. <br />Is there some sort of boat sharing type thing that any knows about. Maybe I can pay for maintenance and fuel and lease a boat for the week.<br /><br />Note: How strong is a Palomar knot? 90%??<br /><br />I say for now: dream big or go without sleep!!!