1998 Evinrude 90hp motor that want crank all the sudden???

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I took my boat out today for the first time today sense i stored for winter. It turned over one time before i left home. By the time i got to the lake, the motor would not do anything! Everything else works just fine but the motor want do anything. I have checked all the fuses and everything i can think of! Any help or ideas would be great. I know it is something simple but have not been able to figure it out! Thanks for the help in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Make sure the battery is fully charged and the posts/connectors are shiny bright clean. Do the same to the solenoid and starter connections, as well as the grounds.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have done all of what you have suggested and still nothing. I am wondering if maybe its the power pack has failed or Ignition switch?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you saying it will not start or the starter does not operate to crank it over ?-----Checked the kill switch ?----Checked the neutral only cranking switch ?

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I motor want do anything! I have checked both kill
swith and reviewed over the cranking switch and couldn’t find anything wrong as of yet? I just never had have a boat that was running fine when stored then nothing will happen when tried to crank now! It’s like the motor is not getting the call to turn over or power to do so?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
not cranking or not... starting ...?

not cranking: apply 12v directly to the selenoid control post... if it cranks find out why your start key is not delivering 12V on the wire to the selenoid

if it does not crank with the selenoid energized apply 12v directly to the starter RED post .. if it cranks ... possibly a bad selenoid or safety switch device

if it does not crank ...bad starter , poor ground