1998 evinrude 175 cuts out!!! Help Please!!!!

Doug Redinger

Seaman
I recently purchased a aluminum boat with a 175 evinrude Ocean Pro outboard. Started it this morning on a set of muffs and let it idle for a few minutes and all seemed okay. Then ran it down to the lake and started it up again. It idled down smoothly and I put it in gear and started to advance the throttle. It came up on plane nicely, but after about 15 seconds it just died and I could not get it restarted. It seemed to have a good flow from the pee-hole, especially at higher RPM. The fuel bulb remained hard so I believe the fuel pump is working. I removed the fuel strainer on the engine and it was free of debris. When I squeezed the bulb i got a good shot of fuel at the strainer so I know the primer bulb is good. Any ideas as to what may be shutting this thing down.
Thanks to all responders.

Doug

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 evinrude 175 cuts out!!! Help Please!!!!

Sounds like a loss of ignition. Get an open air gap spark tester, set it to 7/16 " and the next time it quits, check your spark.

Doug Redinger

Seaman
Re: 1998 evinrude 175 cuts out!!! Help Please!!!!

30 minutes after returning home with the boat i hooked it up to the muffs again on the driveway and the motor fired right up again. It seems like something is getting to hot and once it cools down it fires right up. Took out the 2 thermostats and checked them in hot water. They both opened up at about 175 F . Could it be an faulty overtemp sensor? Don't know much about this evinrude as I have always had Mercury engines. My dealer has been so busy he could not work on it for 3 weeks and that is a big chunk out of my fishing season. Can this vintage of an engine be scanned with a scan tool to give a fault code or something. Like I said I am a vintage Mercury man and do not know much about these newer engines.

Doug