1998 90 HP Force Stalling

dbmacboat

Cadet
Hi wondering if anyone can help. Had a problem with my motor stalling very randomly. Would idle fine, then stall on the odd take off, or sometimes @ wot, or mid throttle. Was told it was probably fuel pump. Put a complete kit in the fuel pump and it did the same thing.

It has a portable fuel tank with a primer bulb.

I noticed the primer bulb was soft, and it seemed if I sqeezed it, she'd take off and be normal till the next random stall.

So replaced the fuel filter, inspected the carbs (they look clean), replaced the plugs, replaced the gas tank and fuel line primer bulb. Fresh fuel, proper mix, tightened up the housing bolts for the fuel pump again.

Put the muffs on it tonight and tried it, took a while to get it going, but it only ran for a while then stalled. Had to choke it to start it after it ran and stalled. Seems even worse than before. Argh@$!#%.She seems to run fine when it runs, but then sputters to a complete stall.

Running out of things on the fuel side with exception of pulling carbs.

Electrical now??? Pull the carbs???

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 90 HP Force Stalling

You have a quick disconect in the fuel line? Did you disasemble the carbs?
Take them off and look at the reeds.You assemble the pump right?
Check all electrical connections.
Do a compression/spark test.Post your results.J

dbmacboat

Cadet

I do have a quick disconnect in the fuel line right at the front of the engine cover. It seems intact.

Compression is 150 psi on all three cylinders.

I didn't take the carbs off just inspected.

Will do a spark test.

Thanks for your suggestions!

foodfisher

Captain

Sounds like when you pump the bulb, you are doing the fuel pump's job. I'd check the diaphram and check valves again. Also clean out the recirculation system.

dbmacboat

Cadet

Indeed it does, appears I had the back plate on the fuel pump assembly on wrong. Reassembling and reinstalling tonight. Try and run it tomorrow after work. Thanks!!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That quick disconect can look good but be bad. I remove them if they are 4 years or older.J

dbmacboat

Cadet

Ok thanks, and what happens when it's bad, it draws air in?