1998 40HP Tracker Water Issue?

jeffreese

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1998 Tracker boat with a 40HP 2-stroke Tracker (by Mercury) motor on it. I put it in the water and tried to find the location of the water peeing from the motor to determine the condition of the water pump. Although the motor ran good, I was concerned because I couldn't see or hear the tell/tale sign of water peeing from the motor so I shut it off and brought it to the house. After an hour of seaching in the usual places and hooking the motor up to the water hose, I located what appears to be two places located below the fins on the lower unit (below the water line) that appear to be the water outlet. I have a good flow from both and they do not heat up. Is this normal for this motor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1998 40HP Tracker Water Issue?

Well that definately sounds like you are flowing water properly. Does that motor not have a tell-tale? Seems a little odd for a motor of that age to not have one. Sometimes the tell-tale gets clogged, but if you are flowing water out of your water exhaust, the impeller is definately functioning. Just be careful, as sometimes the water pressure from the hose can make it 'appear' to be flowing water and then when the motor is in the water, it cannot create its own pressure to flow water.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

If you touch the head does it get really hot?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Serial#/model?? Pics??Depending on what motor(merc/force) it should be peeing out the stbd.side.
Sometime a piece of weed eater string in the hole will loosen the clog.