1998 190HP Bayliner - Clicks but no start - Assist Solenoid?

lordx

Cadet
Hey all, my 1998 Bayliner 190HP V6 Mercruiser WILL start eventually, but I have to press the key multiple times and I hear an audible 'click' each time, and then finally it will 'catch' and start.

I had the starter replaced last season thinking that was the issue, and it wasn't. So no harm in having a new starter after 20 years, but I really want this issue solved.

Someone locally said that it sounded like the assist solenoid - which he said was a common thing, and explained the 'click' sound I heard.

Anyone else agree? And how do I go about finding the right part?

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, try checking the solenoid for loose wiring or replace it if nothing obvious is found.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If what Ted suggests doesn't fix it, the part number for the solenoid is 89-96158T. Should be located on the top front starboard side of the engine, just in front of the cylinder head.

Chris.....

lordx

Cadet
Thanks Chris! I don't usually like 'throwing parts' at things, but at $12.50 with free prime shipping from Amazon, it seems like a no brainer to try.

Also, people are commenting that this is the same solenoid as the Trim one - which is also beginning to give me trouble. Do you know where that one is located?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The UP and DOWN solenoids for the trim system are mounted on the same bracket as the trim pump, which the engine installer could have located on either side of the engine, or as mine is, on the inside of the transom.... That's one you'll have to look for. ;)

Chris.....

lordx

Cadet
That did the trick! Boat starting up right away each time now... fantastic! I couldn't see the trim ones when I looked, but I was under time pressure, so I didn't get a chance to really dive in. Thanks again!