1998 135 hp mercury outboard

dremd911

Cadet
What is a general price range in replacing a cylinder that has blown.

Mechanic found one cylinder was destroyed after taking the power head off the left side. After looking at the right side he said the cylinders were good and depending on parts price repair would cost $1800-2500 which would include replacing pistons and rings in both sides or maybe he said pistons on left side rings on both sides.

Either way, is a 1998 135 hp worth dumping $2000 in at this stage or am i better off trading in for something new, older or borrowed?

Let me know what you experts out there think, also i don't know much about this engine so any help would be great.

Compression test i did prior to mechanic read 90, 90, 90 on the starboard side of engine and 0, 0, 30 on port side of engine

dremd911

Cadet
I purchased a 1998 Starcraft Marine Expedition 1980cc with a 135 h.p. mercury outboard on the back. I purchased the boat knowing that the engine had a bad cylinder because I was thinking of replacing the engine at first.

When I got the engine back home I did a compression test and found the right side had 90, 90, 90 in each cylinder which I felt was a bit low. On the left side of engine as I am standing in the stern facing the bow or port side (how's my boat lingo?) I found the compression from top to bottom to be 0, 0, 30. So i knew I had a big problem ahead on the left side. I had my mechanic take the power head off on the left side and open the engine up and when he did I found that the middle cylinder was blown and it looked like a fireball was in the cylinder (i am not an expert of outboards by any means so please take it easy on me)

​The Mechanic looking at the engine said the right side looked really good after he took off the head and he said that he would charge depending on parts $1800-$2500 to bore cylinders, new pistons and change rings on the other side of the block.

Can I get some professional advice as to whether or not I should just swap out for new...maybe some incentives out there from mercury?

or

Should I stick it out and dump some money into this engine and save its life.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
It all depends on how handy you are. Just an observation here but if you had someone else look at it then you are probably better off buying a new motor.

dremd911

Cadet
:confused:...any suggestions on what i should replace it with? I'm leaning toward a new evinrude but i have owned 1970's 65 mercury 3 cylinder never ran 100%, 1980's 90 hp johnson ran like a top, 1980's 125 force starts and runs like a champion everytime and i currently own a 1980's 140 hp johnson that runs strong.

I really like johnson evinrude motors the best but i do not know anything about the new motors or what type of issues people have with them...i winterize my outboards every season change plugs and oil in the leg and have even changed out water pump so i am some what handy but i have never taken out a powerhead and replaced cylinders so i think a new motor would be best

please let me know what tips people have about buying new thanks!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
If I was going to buy a new motor and I wasnt a gearhead that had to make EVERYTHING faster and I was going to buy something that I didnt have to fiddle with that got great gas mileage it would be a 125 optimax or a 135 ETEC.