1998 115 Evinrude Won't Start

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 115 (E115SLECM) that I just bought, it's been sitting for the last 4 years. I pulled and went through the 4 throttle bodies they were pretty clean but none of the floats were adjusted the same. I did new needles, seats, floats, etc.. Also did water pump and lower gear oil, plugs, and new fuel lines. I used a new small test fuel tank and premixed 50:1 until I can verify the VRO is working. I went to start the motor and it did start a couple of times, but when it stalled it would not start again, I checked and no spark on any cylinder, I thought it might be the safety switch tether I could not get it to stay on because it was cracked. Got a new one and again, started.. Stalled, no spark! Driving me nuts Where do I start??

Re: 1998 115 Evinrude Won't Start

welcome
first is the engine spinning fast when trying to start it. if its cranking slow you have to fix that first (dirty connections). If that's not the problem then find the black with yellow strip wire on the motor and disconnect it then check for spark. If you get a spark then there's a problem in the kill switch, ignition switch. (engine will not stop with the wire removed)

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

welcome
first is the engine spinning fast when trying to start it. if its cranking slow you have to fix that first (dirty connections). If that's not the problem then find the black with yellow strip wire on the motor and disconnect it then check for spark. If you get a spark then there's a problem in the kill switch, ignition switch. (engine will not stop with the wire removed)

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine is spinning at normal speed. I'll look for that black/yellow stripe wire and disconnect it and check for spark (will not try to start) and see what happens.

Really appreciate it.

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the quick reply. The engine is spinning at normal speed. I'll look for that black/yellow stripe wire and disconnect it and check for spark (will not try to start) and see what happens.

Really appreciate it.

Tested the following:
1) I took the ignition switch and disconnected the Black/Yellow and NO spark.
2) I then disconnected all the wires and went through the process of testing the switch itself as outlined in the shop manual, that all check out.
3) Checked all connections in the engine, disconnect, inspect, clean, reconnect.
4) Put it back together and starts.
5) Put cowling on… back to square 1.. Start it 4 or 5 times – turn off… Won’t start again.. When it's running it's running fine.

you need to disconnect the black/yellow at the engine to rule out all the wiring on the boat. Are you sure its loosing spark and that's why its not starting as its easy to fix one problem and not realize that you are on a different problem now. Some electrical problems only show up on a warm motor and will run fine when the motor is cool so if you are loosing spark you will need to test all 4 cylinders as different problems will lead to different combinations as the ignition components are in banks. For example a power pack may affect the port 2 cylinders but the starboard are ok. A bad coil may only affect one cylinder. A bad kill switch or shorted wire may affect all the cylinders

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's been storming here since I replied. I read your reply and the CDI troubleshooting guide and realized i need to start at the black/yellow at the engine. I ran the motor for 15-20 min (on a trailer) and it starting is completely intermittent. When it won't start I get no spark @ any cylinder.. It might start half a dozen times in a row, then nothing. I took all the ground/hot connections on the terminal block and cleaned them, nothing.. I will re-start with the black/yellow @ the engine tomorrow afternoon and see what happens.

Appreciate your patience, I'm learning..

while you are there take a look at the wiring going under the flywheel and any other place where it can get jammed, nipped or rubbed

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:

Sorry been raining here day and night.. Got off work at a decent hour so I was able to check things out. I went and took off the
cover to the power pack and can see the yellow/black wire in a connector that attaches to the power pack, there is the yellow/back; yellow; brown; black/white wire in the connector. I see no other option but to remove the connector with ALL of these wires.

- I took all the connections off, cleaned and put them back.
- I cleaned the grounds to the starter
- I took the power pack and coils off, plug wires and cleaned and put them back

Tried to start, nothing...

- Since I am by myself I connected a fuel shut off to my test fuel tank.
- Disconnected the harness to the power pack (yellow/back; yellow; brown; black/white wire)
- Hit the starter and it started, but is mis-firing.
- Plugged the harness back in (yellow/back; yellow; brown; black/white wire)
- Took power pack/coils apart, cleaned again, re=assembled it starts and no-misfire.

Started 100% of the time, do I trust it.. Not really, not yet.. Not sure I'm convinced it's running as it should, I'm so used to my 4-stroke, it just seems to run rough, I guess need to really water test it under load. Been a long time since i had a 2 stroke..

How difficult is it to test the coils & power pack? Thinking I should also do a compression test, for my own piece of mind..

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right back to square one..

How do I test coils, power pack with a DVM? Also what should the resistance be on the plug wires? I had 1 @512 ohms, 598, 618,620..

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't check the 4th cylinder, it was starting to rain and I was so frustrated by that point I put the cowling back on and walked away. I will try again tonight and let you know.

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked, no spark in any cylinder. I took the power pack off and checked for kinked wires and looked like one was kinked behind the power pack. Put it back together and it fired right up.

So what about the plug wires? what should the resistance be on the plug wires? I had 1 @512 ohms, 598, 618,620..

Sean Hill

Cadet

The spark plug wire resistance looks ok if one was bad it would be way off from the others like 3 at 600 Ohms and 1 at 25 KOhms plus a bad plug wire will cause you to loose spark on that cyl the rest will be fine. What wire was kinked behind the pack? What spark plugs do you have in the motor? OIS V-4 must have the QL82YC or QL78YC spark plugs no substutions, also are the spark plug wires all the factory grey colored wires?

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The spark plug wire resistance looks ok if one was bad it would be way off from the others like 3 at 600 Ohms and 1 at 25 KOhms plus a bad plug wire will cause you to loose spark on that cyl the rest will be fine. What wire was kinked behind the pack? What spark plugs do you have in the motor? OIS V-4 must have the QL82YC or QL78YC spark plugs no substutions, also are the spark plug wires all the factory grey colored wires?

Spark Plugs -QL78YC Gapped to 30, grey factory wires

The wire kinked behind was the pin/receptacle wire that goes to the top coil for #1 cylinder, it was pinched.

It starts, idles.. Get out under way and it cut's in and out at above 4,000 rpm's.

Sean Hill

Cadet

Spark Plugs -QL78YC Gapped to 30, grey factory wires

The wire kinked behind was the pin/receptacle wire that goes to the top coil for #1 cylinder, it was pinched.

It starts, idles.. Get out under way and it cut's in and out at above 4,000 rpm's.

Most likely a bad pack, take a inductive timing light and just watch the flash to see which cyls its loosing spark at the rpm it cuts out. Not concerned about timing just if the flash goes out. If its dropping just 1 cyl its the pack or coil.

daselbee

Commander

There is no doubt that I would be looking at the OIS sensor first. Those things fail just like you are describing.

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will get a timing light and check (can't remember who borrowed or when..) I did pick up an OIS sensor, figured even if it's the pack I should do both. If it is the pack which is better, CDI or OMC??

c6mcfall

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, so I did replace the OIS sensor, started the motor and no change...

Also did spark test and I get very weak spark @ 7/16"... And on it was only on cylinders 1,4.. I got intermittent spark on 2,3.. I'M tired of messing with this.. Should I bite the bullet and just order a new power pack and new coils? They are 15 years old..

daselbee

Commander

CMcfall.....I feel as if you replaced the OIS sensor because I said that you should look at it. Replacement is not really what I meant, only after proper testing, but if you wish, bring it up to Mims, and we can fix her right up. No charge except parts if needed. I have everything we will need tool-wise. PM me if interested.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The OIS ingnition system is pretty simple really. I am with Daselbee about the sensor. I have always replaced them as a unit, sensor and pack. You can get spurious readings from them if you are not careful, from stray light when you have the cover off the sensor assembly. Hope you checked the stator, but from my experience the stator is NEVER the problem on these engines.

My money is on BRP rather than CDI, that was until BRP starting using CDI stuff on there engines. Go figure.

I would take Daselbee up on his offer. He can throw the parts on to check the ignition and replace only what needs to be replaced.