1997 Yamaha 90HP Power Tilt and trim Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice
My tilt and trim was working fine. Then one day I went to trim it up it slightly
move up and then stop working. Now all I hear is a clicking sound every time i try to trim it up or down. Is there any way to trouble shoot it to see what wrong with it. No i dont have a service manul. Any info will be great . Thanks for reading my post.

TheFin

Seaman
Re: 1997 Yamaha 90HP Power Tilt and trim Problem

Try to knock on the trim motor with something and push the trim button up or down at the same time.

Is the trim motor rusty like this one ?

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0

khoi30

Seaman Apprentice

No when i brought the boat and motor. I was told that the trim motor was brand new. There no rust on the trim motor. I have a complete spare power tilt and trim assembly. how can I tested to see if it work . Thanks.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

follow up the leads from the tnt unit.they will be blue and green,should be terminated on solonoids I thinl on the starbord side inside engine cover,you can check and make sure all connections are ok,but to test the unit,disconnect the wires,jump to positive and neg.if you place blue to pos.grn.to neg the trim unit should lift,reversing the wires goes down,if nothing happens,you have a tnt motor prom,if it works,be sure to check ground wires and pos. at the solonoids,clean and tight,let us know how it goes

Bud_man

Cadet

Maybe try searching the forum and web for testing the "trim relays".

I had a similar problem, but only in one direction - motor would go up, but not down. It was easy to diagnose with the testing instructions and a volt meter. The relay replacement was easy too.

Good luck,
Bud

Bud_man

Cadet

Sorry, Mikesea posted while I was writing my response. I was probably using the wrong terminology - relay/soleniod. But there's your instructions...

Good luck,

Bud

Status
Not open for further replies.