1997 Mariner 40 H.P. electrical question

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1997 mariner 40 hp motor that doesnt run right. It is manual start 3 cylinder with CD ignition. The motor has only around 25 hours on it. As i am going along with it on the boat it runs full throttle for around 10 minutes then cuts back to around 1/4 throttle. I took it out of the water and it seems like it is running on only 2 cylinders. The bottom is not sparking. <br /><br />I switched coils around thats not the problem. I am assuming it is either of the following.<br /><br />1.Stator<br />2.Trigger<br />3.Rev limiter<br /><br />I do not believe it is the trigger those usually dont go bad. My guess is stator. I know i can test the stator with an OHM's tester but what sshould the reading be. It is between the green wires because it doesnt have a charging system so the yellow are not used. I did get a reading so and info would greatly be appriciated. Have there been any problems with the CD ignition? And what is the cost of a new stator? Thank you all

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1997 Mariner 40 H.P. electrical question

660-710 ohms between the white/green and green/white stator wires from manual printed Jan 1998. System may not be same, the system in manual is CDM which the coil and pack is in same package.