1997 Chaparral 2330 Bowrider - Minor Restore and Refit

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got back from a diving trip to Thailand a couple of weeks ago. While I was there I got to see the longtails in action. Talk about the ultimate in simplicity for a motorized boat. Take a wood boat, stick a car or truck engine on a swivel, add a shaft and prop, and Wallah!, instant motorboat.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
Although tempting, since I've gone to all the trouble to set up the sterndrive on my boat, I decided not to convert it to a longtail.

I had to remove the freshwater cooling heat exchanger to lift the engine into the boat. The rest was pretty straightforward and the install went flawlessly.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
The gantry, worked perfectly. It was nice to not have to worry about the stability or integrity. Overkill, sure, but the sense of security was priceless.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
The hard part came when I started hooking everything up to the engine and the transom assembly. Talk about tight! My big ol' hands and arms definitely weren't designed for this. And the contortions I had to put my body through were ridiculous. It took me hours to get everything hooked up correctly. Granted, It was my first time, and didn't have experience to make it easier, but I sure hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a fine looking gantry you have there!

Thanks JAS. It was one of the projects my boys and I completed along the way. Two neighbors have already borrowed it. One to yank a blown boat engine, and another to put the cab on the chassis of a truck build.

How's your boat doing by the way?

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
It's been great! The Durabak floor covering I installed hasn't held up well, but otherwise the boat's been a blast. I think I need to replace my bellows, so that's the next thing I get to learn about!

Your boat is looking super!

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's been great! The Durabak floor covering I installed hasn't held up well, but otherwise the boat's been a blast. I think I need to replace my bellows, so that's the next thing I get to learn about!

Your boat is looking super!

That's too bad. It never ends, does it?

Thanks.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put the rear seats in to check the fit. All of the carpet used on the seat bases and deck was gone so I expected a slight difference, but it turned out to be too much. You can see the gap between the seat pad and the side vinyl.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
Needed about 3/4" so I added that to the bottom of the seat bases. A little gelcoat and they'll be good to go.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was on a trip and doing some ordering of parts for the electrical in the stern of the boat. I needed to estimate the distance from the battery to the engine for battery cable, and was trying to go by memory. I used the mercruiser battery cable length estimator chart and then went one size bigger, just in case. I went on line to order what I needed and couldn't find the size I wanted, but was able to find the next size higher on ebay for a good price. So I ordered it. I also ordered some tinned copper lugs and a hydraulic crimper. Let's just say my memory was a little exaggerated. When I got home and opened the box with the cable, I was a bit stunned to see the size of the cable... it was massive, and there was a lot of it. The good thing is, I won't have much voltage loss. :facepalm:

The lugs were pretty good except that they weren't completely sealed by the tinning and since air could get through, water could get in and cause corrosion. A little solder solved the problem. The crimper worked well and the cable ends turned out pretty good.

Last edited:

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
How did you seal the wood risers on the bottom of the seats??

Good eye Wood. Although I fiberglassed the seat bases, I did take a shortcut on the risers. I used a mixture of polyester resin, fumed silica, and chopped glass. After the photos I sanded the bases quite a bit more and re-applied the resin mixture and then gelcoated to match.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I also picked up a 4 bolt reservoir to replace the single bolt through the bottom reservoir. Just made more sense.

NorthwestChap

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to add an additional bilge pump for redundancy. The original pump was mounted in the center of the bilge with an aluminum bracket.