1997 200HP Evinrude bogging down

Bob Donahue

Cadet
Hello All. I have a 1997 Evinrude 200hp which is acting up. I took her out for the 1st time and could not get her to plane out as I was losing throttle. I changed the plugs/separator/and fuel filter, but still got the same problem. So, I rebuilt all 6 carburetors and took her out last night, it ran much better but I still can't get WOT, after about 3000rpm she starts to bogg out and lose rpm's. My fuel is from last year, I used Stabil and ethonyl treatment when I winterized it. I took a couple samples of fuel and they look fine to me, all one color with no separation or sludge. Does this sound like a fuel line or perhaps the VR02 pump? The engine also seems to have more smoke than usual, leading me to believe it is the pump, as this model pumps both gas & oil! Any help would be much appreciated, Thx..

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 200HP Evinrude bogging down

Hello All. I have a 1997 Evinrude 200hp which is acting up. I took her out for the 1st time and could not get her to plane out as I was losing throttle. I changed the plugs/separator/and fuel filter, but still got the same problem. So, I rebuilt all 6 carburetors and took her out last night, it ran much better but I still can't get WOT, after about 3000rpm she starts to bogg out and lose rpm's. My fuel is from last year, I used Stabil and ethonyl treatment when I winterized it. I took a couple samples of fuel and they look fine to me, all one color with no separation or sludge. Does this sound like a fuel line or perhaps the VR02 pump? The engine also seems to have more smoke than usual, leading me to believe it is the pump, as this model pumps both gas & oil! Any help would be much appreciated, Thx..

Hello Bob,

while running the boat/motor have someone pump the fuel primer bulb and see if it picks back up and goes over the 3,000 rpms. Check the primer bulb as the motor starts to drop out, if the bulb collapses it could be a bad bulb or the fuel tank vent is blocked. If the bulb stays firm and the motor picks up and runs clean through the 3,000rpms and over then it's your fuel (VRO) pump.

Bob Donahue

Cadet

Thanks for the response, I'll try the hose first and see what happens. Meanwhile I'll blow air through the vent line to check for flow. Also, is there a way to test the hose & bulb without being in the water running?
Thx again..

Bob Donahue

Cadet

The fuel vent line was clear, I got a full flow of air through as nothing blew out the other end besides air. I think I'll change my fuel line & bulb regardless, they're original and I guess it couldn't hurt!

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel vent line was clear, I got a full flow of air through as nothing blew out the other end besides air. I think I'll change my fuel line & bulb regardless, they're original and I guess it couldn't hurt!

Yes, you would want to change the cheaper and easier items first.

Bob Donahue

Cadet

Well the new lines & bulb are on! I'm testing tomorrow on the water, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is solved! If not, I'll squeeze the bulb and see if the RPM's pick back up, that should tell me if the VRO pump has failed. A mechanic I spoke with seems to think it sounds like one of the carbs could be stilled gummed up. I'm not so sure, I totally soaked them, cleaned them and replaced all the replacable components, besides, they looked pretty good from the beginning! I'll find out tomorrow...

Topgun95

Recruit

I'm having that same problem with my 175. It boggs down then kicks back in, does it over and over, faster and faster til it is back up to full speed. If I stay back at the motor and massage the bulb it runs like a top. I have replaced the lines from the tank to the motor with new bulb and filters. The vent is clear but the bulb will colapse while running. idles in the driveway with no problem... Help!

Bob Donahue

Cadet

I'm having that same problem with my 175. It boggs down then kicks back in, does it over and over, faster and faster til it is back up to full speed. If I stay back at the motor and massage the bulb it runs like a top. I have replaced the lines from the tank to the motor with new bulb and filters. The vent is clear but the bulb will colapse while running. idles in the driveway with no problem... Help!

Well, my problem is solved! After changing the lines and test driving, I still had the same issues. I had my son pump the fuel bulb as I drove and it took right off which indicated it was as usual, the most expensive part, the VRO pump. The outboard dealers do not carry rebuild kits for the pumps, you can only obtain an after market product. It was recommended by a couple of mechanics NOT to rebuild, so I took their advise and just replaced it. Pretty easy, about 1-hour total and that was taking my time! The boat now runs Great, rebuilt carbs, new lines and new pump! I had her doing just under 45mph, not bad for a 24' boat with a 200hp! Good luck with yours...

Bob Donahue

Cadet

Topgun, that sounds as so you may be sucking air before the tank at one of your connections. The bulb obviously should stay firm, double check all connections, the new bulb may be bad as well? On my problem, the buld did not stay colapsed, it went back to full size which eliminated any fuel line problem from my choices of problems.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, my problem is solved! After changing the lines and test driving, I still had the same issues. I had my son pump the fuel bulb as I drove and it took right off which indicated it was as usual, the most expensive part, the VRO pump. The outboard dealers do not carry rebuild kits for the pumps, you can only obtain an after market product. It was recommended by a couple of mechanics NOT to rebuild, so I took their advise and just replaced it. Pretty easy, about 1-hour total and that was taking my time! The boat now runs Great, rebuilt carbs, new lines and new pump! I had her doing just under 45mph, not bad for a 24' boat with a 200hp! Good luck with yours...

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Bob Donahue

Cadet

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Thanks for the help & advise, It runs very well now. A lot less white smoke as well, now that the pump operates correctly, I think the gas/oil ratio is closer to the 50:1.
Happy boating...