1996 Triton w/ Force 90HP Outboard Electrical issues?

Matt9843

Recruit
Hello. I just bought a 1996 triton bass boat 3 weeks ago, and had it on the water this weekend and had some troubles. Were out fishing and went to start the boat, and has no power. all accessories worked, but no start. go towed in and got it home. Tested the battery, and its in good working order. the tilt doesn't work, and still doesn't start. i figured out that the started gear is not raising on its own and isn't hitting the flywheel. so, i believe that the starter is bad, but why would the tilt still not work. Do i have a short? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1996 Triton w/ Force 90HP Outboard Electrical issues?

A starter gear not raising enough to connect with the flywheel is often a sign of a low battery and/or poor battery connections.

Battery connections must be clean, bright and tight.

BOTH ENDS, both cables, AND the cable from the relay to the starter motor.

After cleaning and tightening all connections if the starter still doesn't work correctly then test the voltage at the starter while trying to crank, if the battey voltage is good and the voltage at the starter is low then the contacts within the relay become suspect, verify this by using a jumper cable directly from the battery to the starter motor, if the motor spins correctly, replace the relay, if not replace the starter.

All this is assuming that your battery is good and fully charged, test it, charge it and take it to Autozone, NAPA, anywhere that can test a battery.