1996 merc 25 hp

gildreher

Recruit
This is my first outboard and I am looking for opinions. There is a 1995 merc 25 hp for sale where I live and seems to be in great condition. Can anyone tell me how reliable these motors are and if it is even worth buying? The guy is asking 1000$ is that a fair price? I just dont want to invest in something that is going to be nothing but trouble. It is a two stroke short shaft. I will appreciate any advice.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1996 merc 25 hp

I think they're good motors. I like how easy it is to remove the lower unit/shift shaft for impeller change. I don't like the autoshift on the throttle grip. Lots of folks tend to fail to let the motor idle down all the way before going into reverse and it seems to cause a lot of premature wearing of the reverse gear and reverse side of the clutch dog.
Running it on the lake is the only way to tell if it will hold gear in forward and reverse. In my area, if it were in great demonstratable condition $1000 would be a good price. There were loads of them sold in my area in particular and I don't hear many complaints.
JMO,
JBJ