1996 Johnson Outboard 48 hp Touch Trim

clockjok

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson X48ESLEDC w/ touch trim. I was tilting it up to get some weeds off, & the plastic part w/ the ball that screws on to the cable, which connects to the cycle lever broke. It locked in the half way up position. I cannot move the motor up or down. I disconnected it @ the base of the hydraulic piston, & the rod will not slide up or down. WHAT DO I DO? <br />Thanks Jack

D

DJ

Re: 1996 Johnson Outboard 48 hp Touch Trim

I think you are resting on the "trailering lock".<br /><br />Tilt the motor all the way up, and hold the sliding bracket (located inside the clamp bracket) in (toward transom) as you carefully lower the motor.<br /><br />Watch your fingers, as you do this!!!

clockjok

Recruit
Re: 1996 Johnson Outboard 48 hp Touch Trim

I got my own problem fixed. The valve rod was stuck @ the base of the tilt cylinder. I put a ball on the end of a copper wire & pried it back out w/ a screw driver. It took very little effort. I then could release the valve & very easilly tilted the motor back up. I now could take the cable off & take it to my mech. The upper end of the linkage is plastic & goes on a metal ball, well it was broke. He had some old throttle linkages, & took one of the ends off. AND it worked perfectly. In fact it was better than the orig. He said this happens quite often, that these ends break. ALL FIXED NOW !! HOPE THIS INFO HELPS SOMEONE.