1996 Johnson 90hp V4 no spark left bank

Unhallowed

Cadet
I'm new to boat engines, so sorry if this is an obvious fix.

Fired it up for the first time this year in the driveway. Seemed fine, albeit a bit rough.
Took it out on the water and noticed immediately that I have NO power. So I pulled it back out and parked it in the driveway.

Tossed new plugs and some injector cleaner in it. Helped the rough running.
Pulled the right side plug wires individually, engine dies. Pull the left side, no change. Even with both pulled there's no change.

Everything I have read makes me think power pack. But tbh I haven't a clue what that is and everything google images shows me doesn't look like anything on my engine.
10006062_10203019492784107_1862558714_o.jpg
1492242_10203019492584102_1601429384_o.jpg
1957889_10203019492664104_1476557038_o.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 90hp V4 no spark left bank

You have done a good/correct job of troubleshooting the problem. Odds are good that the problem is with the power pack. From a pure statistical standpoint-it's the most frequent failure mode. Hate to recommend a replacement pack, as it is pretty expensive. You can weigh the purchase of a pack vs taking it to a dealer who will diagnose it (for a charge) and install the exact ignition component you need. One way to look at it is that if you spring for the new pack and it's not the problem-you've got a spare for when it's needed: it will fail at some point in the future. You can look at the factory exploded parts diagram/list for your engine at this website: epc.brp.com Keep in mind that in 1996 OMC made two types 90 hp models: the crossflow (a 90-degree powerhead configuration) and a newer-60 degree configuration. Yours is the 90 degree. Compare your model number to the parts list and it will lead you to the correct parts and factory part numbers.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a OHM test you can do on the coils to make sure they are good,a bad coil will burn out a power pack(I had this happen to me) I replaced the power pack and new coils.take your time and don't rush to replace parts till you check all the parts

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Just because that side didnt do anything doesnt mean its a pack. You didnt state if the 2 plugs had spark so 1st do a spark check.

Shorebum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can, switch out coils from one side to the other see if the problem moves with the coils. If it does then you have another clue.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you don't have a manual and the proper test equipment, take it to a dealer as you'll probably be $$$$$ ahead.

Shorebum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shop Manual $40 or so on ebay if you can find one, peak reading voltmeter attachment $40 necessary for any ignition troubleshooting. I learned the hard way not to throw money at ignition part swapouts.... BTW I think when you pull a plug wire it should be grounded to avoid damaging ignition components. Please correct me if I am in error.

Unhallowed

Cadet

I pulled the plugs on both sides. The left(non-firing) were wet and looked brand new. So I'm assuming they don't have any spark. I can check for sure tomorrow if I have any daylight left after work.

I'm not entirely sure what specific part is the power pack. The spark plug wires run to a module on the side of each cylinder, then a smaller wire runs to a module on top of the left bank. Not sure which is which here. I'm going to hazard a guess that the smaller ones are the 4 coils and the larger one on top is the power pack? If I only have the one PP would it still be responsible for causing only 2 cylinders to drop?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The last of the OMC dual power packs were on 1987 engines. They went back to the single pack in 1988. If you look at the parts list you can compare the appearance of the factory pictured pack with the one you have on your engine. You can swap the four coils around (as a test) to see if that will make any firing difference. Usually these ignition coils are pretty reliable. It would be unusual for two to quit at the same time.... It is possible there is something amiss with the timer base. I would think if the stator were the problem, (usually low voltage output) you'd see random misfires on all 4 plugs-not just one side.

Unhallowed

Cadet

Ok I tossed a new power pack on it this afternoon, ran great till a plug wire failed. So I went and got some boots and made up some new wires (bright blue wires mean +5hp, right? lol). Seems to be running and idling great now.

It started raining so I'll do a drop cylinder test when it lets up and go toss it in the water and see if it's running at full power.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Factory replacement coil plug wire kits. Plug-on style. Assembly required. Bombardier part number: 582365 One per coil.

Unhallowed

Cadet

Ok So now I have spark to all 4 cylinders but it's still not reving up or making power when its in the water. Revs all the way up fine when it's on a hose in the driveway. Any ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

It will rev up just fine on 2 cylinders in the driveway, means nothing as a test !!-----------Orange / blue wire is going to the top coil ?--What does a compression test show on this motor ??

Last edited:

Unhallowed

Cadet

Compression test gave me a solid 120psi across all cylinders. All the wires going to and from the power pack and coils are connected.

The bottom left cylinder is sparking, but the plug still looks clean after running. So I'm not getting any combustion in that cylinder.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Previously you said the bottom left is wet.
And it has spark, even if its sparking out of time it should be combusting the fuel on it.

Two things
How are you checking spark?
Have you lit the wetness to check its fuel and not water from an exhaust gasket leak?

Unhallowed

Cadet

I checked spark by pulling the plug out and holding it against the block. Got a buddy to turn it over while I held it and watched.

I have not tried to light it. I will go do that now.

Unhallowed

Cadet

Pulled the plug and tried to light it with a lighter, nothing happened.
Wiped it off and put it back in, cranked the motor over and pulled it back out. Still clean.

So I'm not getting fuel to that cylinder I guess?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Checking the spark using a spark plug means nothing. It should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a spark tester.

Unhallowed

Cadet

I don't have one of those. Is there a certain kind of tester I need? Only one available at the local store is an 'in-line' spark tester.

Looks like this:
ST400.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You can make your own spark tester, use wood or plastic and put two nails into it 7/16 apart. Attach the HT wire to one nail point and sturdy wire to ground (or it might be to spark plug) on the other side. Check that you get a good blue spark across that gap.

In regards to fuel not lighting.
Did you have the ht lead grounded and did you turn it over a few times? If so it should be wet with fuel.
If not then thats a problem, try that on all cylinders, maybe one carb is blocked or something else

Last edited: