1996 Johnson 9.9 Lower Unit Removal

Chpsk8

Recruit
Hello
I have a 1996 Johnson 9.9 that needs a new water impeller. I was able to remove the 6 bolts holding the lower unit on, and it then dropped about an inch, but the shift linkage is still connected so it can't be removed. There isn't a traditional "two screw" link that I can remove like I have seen on older motors.
Does anyone know how to disconnect the shift linkage so I can remove the lower unit?
I believe the model number is J10FREDR
The serial number is 04157875

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO,NO,NO------The connection is up near the carburetor.-----No where near the water intake screen !!----These 4 strokes are different animal.

Chpsk8

Recruit
I removed the water intake screens and there isn't anything there. The shift linkage is at the leading edge of the drive.
Racerone, I've looked a little at the connection near the block. Do you know of a diagram or picture that would help me with what I'm looking for? It didn't seem that obvious when I was looking at it. If my memory serves (from last night) it appeared the linkage disappeared into the housing and it didn't stand out that there was a pin or anything to pull. I can sure look at it closer if you think it's up there.
Oh and btw... for sure these motors are different than anything...and difficult to find correct diagrams for.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
NO,NO,NO------The connection is up near the carburetor.-----No where near the water intake screen !!----These 4 strokes are different animal.

I removed the water intake screens and there isn't anything there. The shift linkage is at the leading edge of the drive.
. for sure these motors are different than anything...and difficult to find correct diagrams for.

Described , I think, then on page 7.8 of the Seloc manual http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/...rude.html#/466

But the diagram on the following page is not applicable

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well ---I know it is up there !------I have 3 of these motors and if you look near the carburetor / engine block and move the shift lever the connecter will bite you !!!

Chpsk8

Recruit
Sounds good. Thanks both of you for the info. I checked the link and it looks like they are trying to describe the same process in 7-8 Bullet 5. I'll get back at it!