1996 Johnson 30hp (J30ELEDE)- new water pump last year but no water cycling

KB976

Seaman Apprentice
Hey there. I did a water pump on my '84-30hp Evi, got it all done, submerged the lower unit in a cooler of water, electrical taped the top of the driveshaft to my Hitachi 3500 rpm drill, and SLOOOWWLY cranked it up...nothing. I pulled it apart, verified everything was kosher, ran her back up to speed, nothing. I tried several more times, and then suddenly-voila! Water sprayed 6' in the air. I never figured out what the problem was, but it works fine now. (I even verified proper impelller rotation when I installed it, as this is probably the most common error with water pump re-does.) Gooduck with it; it's well worth the effort

This was the key. Its like it had to build pressure, and once it did it worked great from that point on.

Now the pump works, but the motor isn't running right. I am starting a new thread so not too confuse the two separate issues.

KB976

Seaman Apprentice
follow the steps in my sig below to troubleshoot your motor. just so you know, outboards and boats in general are high maintenance. just relax and figure it out, it can be very frustrating sometimes I know.

Thanks sparky. The steps worked and now my motor starts and idles great. Problem now is that it doesn't want to stay running when under a load.
Im starting a new thread so I can fully explain the problems and what steps I have taketaken to fix it.hopefully we can get it fixed.

SparkieBoat

Captain
glad it helped. if it dies when you throttle up that could be fuel pump or fuel line issues.