1996 Evinrude 225 Lower Unit Problem?

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Alot of helpful info here. My question is this. I recently got ahold of a 1996 Evinrude 225 vindicator with a lower unit that's outfitted with low water pickup and a 31p chopper prop. The first thing i did before putting it in the water was inspect and change lower unit oil (Checked out good). The one thing I noticed though was the bearing housing had play in it. Just doesn't seem right to me. The housing moves up and down in the case. Have never worked on one this new. The older ones I recall had I think 4 bolts inside the case holding the bearing housing in place along with retainers on the outside as well. Looked through and no bolts!!! Hmmmm? Can ya'll tell me if this is normal or how I can get the play out of it? I checked the 2 retainers on outside of housing and they we're tight. Thanks guys for all of ya'll's help in advance.......Keith:confused:

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Evinrude 225 Lower Unit Problem?

Well I found something on the lower unit that isn't on the parts diagram. On the bearing housing closest to prop where an o-ring wraps around the housing; there are 6 threaded holes that go through the case and into the housing. Upon further inspection i found set screws in two of the holes. I run to the hardware store and picked up four of the missing set screws. I installed them but they literally just thread in and don't bind at all (the threaded holes go all the way through the case and the bearing housing). It did however stop the play in between housing and case.....I was a bit worried about putting loctite on the aluminum threads so I used silicone to maybe hold them in place....Anyone know of a grade of loctite to use with aluminum threads? It may work I guess. I haven't put it in the water yet to find out. Has anyone ever heard of these set screws? They are new to me for sure!!

commonarcwelder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 Evinrude 225 Lower Unit Problem?

Need some help on this one guys.....Cant keep the set screws in....Tried Low Grade Loctite for fear of ruining the threads (didnt hold)....Has anyone heard of these set screws?