1996 75hp Merc known issues?

Huron Angler

Admiral
My dad is looking at a boat that comes with a '96 75hp Merc. From what I have found out researching it seems like they are 3 cylinder, carburated, 2-stroke with VRO injection.

He is probably going to sell the motor so we want to make sure we know what we are dealing with.

I am curious if these had any known issues or if they have been reliable for folks with good maint of course.

Any insight is appreciated.:)

Re: 1996 75hp Merc known issues?

Pretty reliable, the VRO was an OMC feature, but I have not heard to many problems with them, as long as you do your maintainence and run fuel stabilizer you should not have a problem.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Pretty reliable, the VRO was an OMC feature, but I have not heard to many problems with them, as long as you do your maintainence and run fuel stabilizer you should not have a problem.

Thanks for the info, mostly wanted to make sure that it was not an early fuel injected model possibly. I'm not very familiar with newer Mercs.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it is carbureted it cannot be EFI (which it wasn't in 1996). It is a good engine and will run long with routine maintenance. Oil injection system is fine. The only issue with them is a magnet inside the oil tank can pop loose triggering an oil alarm. It happens but is not what I would classify as a "serious issue".

lostinboat

Seaman

I have a 1995 75hp merc and have been running it for 3 years now with no problems. maint is done when it is due and engine runs like new. I run in salt water and always flush the motor with salt away after each trip.

saumon

Lieutenant

It is a good engine and will run long with routine maintenance. Oil injection system is fine. The only issue with them is a magnet inside the oil tank can pop loose triggering an oil alarm. It happens but is not what I would classify as a "serious issue".

Almost..on thoses years (post 1990), the magnet isn't on the oil cap but on the bottom of the tank. Anyway, they eventually came loose anyway, but as said, it's a minor issue. Strong, reliable, very easy to maintain engines...

The oil injection system work very well and is reliable. The only minor variation being that, from 1990 to 1993, it's a constant ratio oil pump (50:1) while from 1994 and up, it's a variable ratio pump. They're easy to spot, as the variable system has a rod linking the bottom carb throttle plate to the fuel pump.

The constant ratio system use a bit more oil and smoke more at idle but also offer the added protection of more lubrication in case that a problem occur...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The only minor variation being that, from 1990 to 1993, it's a constant ratio oil pump (50:1) while from 1994 and up, it's a variable ratio pump.

I think that was a option on the jet unit models of that year.The remote engines use the same pump from 1987-2006 and it was variable. The ratio is 80:1 at idle speed to 50:1 at wide-open-throttle.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I appreciate all the helpful replies. I had a hunch that it was carbed, just wanted to make sure.

It's on a 17' Starcraft, the only other issue that I don't like is that the owner has a trolling plate rigged up. The hours on the motor are probably very low, based on the pristine condition of the hull.

There are mixed opinions on trolling plates, I've heard they can cause issues possibly, but also have seen folks use them for years.

saumon

Lieutenant

I think that was a option on the jet unit models of that year.The remote engines use the same pump from 1987-2006 and it was variable. The ratio is 80:1 at idle speed to 50:1 at wide-open-throttle.

You were right. I double checked in my manuals and the variable vs constant oil pump variation exist only for the 40-50-60 hp 3 cylinders of the 90's.

As for the trolling plate, it really is up to you. If it doesn't cause handling issues and fit your needs i.e achieving very slow trolling speed, keep it. If not, get rid of it and fill the holes with JB Weld.