1996 112spl (j112tsledr) thermostat

timalabim

Seaman
Had the boat out this morning, first time this season. Last season I replaced the impeller/housing. Today at headway speed the temp just started to come up, but at running speed the temp dropped down right off the gauge.
Water temp was 50 degrees F.

I'm thinking I should check thermostat but have read here that some V4 thermostats are very difficult to service. I have the shop manual which makes it look pretty easy except it says that the thermostat should be serviced when the powerhead is removed.

Can I do the thermostat with the powerhead in place on this engine? Is it difficult?

timalabim

Seaman
Re: 1996 112spl (j112tsledr) thermostat

I took a look at the housing. It doesn't look too hard to get to.
Am I going to run into something like the Bolts are too long to get out because of clearance issue?

aclmvh

Seaman

I haven't removed my tstat housing and I wondered the same thing about maybe the bolts being too long. However I have read another thread in here about 'dropping the pan' (the lower engine cover) to provide better access to things at the base of the powerhead- if the bolts are too long that might be an option.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You have a V4 crossflow with the bubble back exhaust. The thermostat housing is somewhat hard to get to, hiding under the exhaust cover. You may find that loosening the lower cowling may permit it to move enough so that you can access the thermostat housing. It is not unusual for the engine to cool significantly when on plane, after it was warm while idling. When planing, the pressure relief valves open in the thermostat housing and provide significant extra cooling water, and that can lower the temps so that they do not register on some gauges.