1995 Sunbird

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, I have been off the forums for a while(been boating). I have some questions... my father in law, who is the handiest person with a wrench, motor ect that I have ever met has purchased a 1995 Sunbird with a 3.0L Volvo/Cobra engine drive set up. Now I know that lots of people will say just get rid of it outright with that drive engine combo, but he is retired and bought the boat for a project for 500 bucks. Boat is trashed! Has been sitting outside uncovered for at least 6 years. Inside the only thing salvagable is the dash and stering wheel. Previous owner at least had it bow high so the water drained out.

We are going to work on it, but I have zero expierence with this engine/drive set up. I have never even seen one, neither has he. The motor is free and turns over, the transmission will shift into and out of gear. All the pieces are there for the boat. But is there anything specific we need to watch for, quirks with these cobra drives, engines? I know that parts should be still available for the boat.
He thinks he has found a diamond in the super rough! I am not so sure because all I have ever heard is to stay away from cobra anything.Thanks for any insight.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Sunbird

Actually the 95 Cobra/Volvo ain't that bad.
They got rid of the old Cobra crap.
The drive is mostly Volvo(my opinion)the best there is!!!
The cone clutch/shifter way better than Cobra.
GET a FACTORY manual.A bit more expensive but really worth it.

Change the gear oil and make sure it's filled right.
Then a compression/spark test.Make sure the kill switch is hooked up/working.

Good luck.You can put this in the Volvo section.Lot more answers there.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply! That is good news regarding the Volvo aspect of the set up. Like I said above everyone has always told me to run from anything that said OMC/Cobra on it.
Well so far we have changed oil and plugs fresh gas ect. Believe it or not the damn thing started! Ran like crap, we only ran it for a minute or so just to see. We have not even looked at the drive yet. If we can get the motor running properly this weekend then we will look at it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Check the oil in the drive FIRST!!!
Bad oil,water in the oil,metal shavings in the oil???
Then maybe do some pricing on Volvo parts,not cheap.