1995 Johnson 112 won't stop trimming down

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 112 johnson, the motor has been great so far since i owned it but on my last trip out last year the motor would not stop trimming down. I eventually removed the green and white wire from the plastic box after it was in the water as I didn't have to worry about depth. Anyway, is there a place I should start to diagnose this issue? When I press the trim up button on the motor or the shifter it will stop the engine from trimming down but as soon as you let off it is back to just trying to go down. I assume it is either a switch that is shorting out or the motor itself. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
motor sound s fine if it keeps humming away to bring the engine down

the circuitry works with relays under switch control (up or down) and is somewhat simple

you may have a defective...mechanically stuck "down switch" telling the relay to activate the down function or...

DOWN relay contacts wedled shut causing the motor to run all the time

step one ...find the DOWN relay and remove it... motor should stop
Interchnage it with the UP relay if DOWN relay is defective motor T&T will go UP instead

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
see typical 2 wire cct.

Bat+12 and ground are provided to two relays
the up/down switch (switches) tells the relays to send power to the tilt motor by applying the power one way for UP and reverses it for DOWN .
if the motor runs all th time a switch or relay is likeley defective beyond that it is possible that a control wire is chaffed and crossed with +12 to activate the down relay.
1645538597409.png

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
keep us posted on what you find :) just be minful that a bad relay can suddenly be OK if the contacts release on their own when you pull/sake it ... but the problem will return !! :eek: at the wrong time of course (murphy's law)

all the relays do is reverve the polarity sent to the motor see basic diagram
1645540435805.png

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you pull the red wire connecter you can eliminate the switch on the cowling as the possible problem.

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry it has been so long, I was finally able to take the boat out recently with the new relay. It seems to be working fine now the few hours we had it in the water. Thanks a lot!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
great news thanks for your feedback it helps everyone who does searches on similar issues .