1994 yamaha 225 txrs falters at mid range

24 Albemarle

Seaman
I am trying to help a friend with the above motor, it seems to run well at all speeds until around 3200 rpm where it falls out, breaks up. More throttle and picks up (3400 rpm) and runs fine above the rpms stated. No heat issues, no oil issues... Two yamaha mechs. have looked at it one yamaha rep. No answers. Ideas? Model 62J UL.

24 Albemarle

Seaman
Re: 1994 yamaha 225 txrs falters at mid range

thanks for the response, it's nasty out now so when weather clears I'll check the caps. Odd that they would only have affect at certain rpm... but will certainly do the check, till then.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

225TXRS
means its a 3.1L carbed motor.
plug caps can definatly make funny things happen, as can the TPS,Knock sensor and the fuel enrichment controls this also includes the T-stats.
luckily all can be checked with the diagnostic test lamp at the failure RPM and a digital multimeter.
remember this engine only displays a code IF its currently active.
always break it down into fuel subsystems,ign producing systems and ign controlling systems.
just makes the package simple to test and repair.

24 Albemarle

Seaman

Thanks, I checked caps and seem to be fine, I will try the other tests after I get a testing indicator. I noticed all the spk plugs were rich looking , dry but black, so it would seem to be some fuel delivery issues involved as well. Thanks for the response, will forge on...