1994 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI PMDA

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Just installed new long block in my proline, got it running and had question about timing. This is a fuel injected motor and I know the timing adjusts itself while underway. Do i need to time this motor with a light after the first startup or does it adjust itself? If i do need to time it it says it should be at 8 degrees for base timing, is there a wire or something i need to disconect? The setup is a 94 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI PMDA. If anybody has the link to the shop manual i can prob look it up myself.

Thank you in advanced.

Chad

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1994 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI PMDA

Yes, you have to set the initial timing.
Have you looked at the stickies at the top of this forum? They are there for a reason.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stickies, no sorry i dont know what that is, sorta new to these, is there a forum direction book, everytime i post someone gives me a hard time

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if stickies means the search option i tried that and it brought up tons of random off subject posts, a straight answer would be nice if you have one Don

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

stickies, no sorry i dont know what that is, sorta new to these, is there a forum direction book, everytime i post someone gives me a hard time

Hey buddy, here's the link to the page you posted on (or your post was moved to).. http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=444

Look at the first 2-4 posts at the top, they're called Sticky's because they contain permanent information that can't be edited; meaning, they are a valuable source of information.

Also, not to give you a hard time or anything, I think the main forum page does list some rules http://forums.iboats.com/forum.php but not really the best posting method. From this last link, enter each forum and find new sticky's at the top. Some Sticky's are pertinent to that forum page and other are actually universal to all pages, though they are not in all pages.

Anyway, comments asking if you're looked here or there are meant to help you save time by finding it yourself, rather than waiting on a reply from someone.

Good luck!

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh ok thanks alot, I will review the rules before asking another question. Thank you for the link to the page i needed, i really appreciate it.

Happy Boating

Chad

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don,

Just so you know the timing directions are not in the stickies like you were saying. My motor is fuel injected 5.7 GI PMDA, and the directions in the stickie is for carb motor, much different. Either way I was able to find the correct direction on another website. Figured I would let you know so you dont stear anyone else to the stickies trying to time injected motor. If the correct directions were in the stickies they are difficult to find. Even though it was a failure thanks for your attempt at help.

Chad

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about that, I mis-read your engine model, thought it was a GL (carbed) not GI (injected)
The information was still there, just in the form of a link to downloadable service manuals for your engine., not a specific post for timing.