1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

IMG_20130824_221526_141.jpgIMG_20130824_221358_997.jpgSpare prop worked just fine! Must be the original prop. New problem, or at least the other problem resurfacing. I get up to about 4000 rpm or at times just by accelerating too fast, a major vibration happens that makes me immediately pull throttle back to idle. Most of the time, the vibration goes away and I can again accelerate to 3900 rpm or so. If I dont go over that rpm, engine will keep running just fine. It does kind of go in out of smooth operation to slight vibration at all times though at upper speeds. I would also like to mention that there are times when even coming all the way back to idle position, and even putting boat in neutral, the harsh vibration does not go away and I actually have to turn motor off and restart. I am assuming therefore, this has nothing to do with a prop. Any ideas? Thank you all so much for your help earlier. It is much appreciated. I would also like to know if someone can tell me, what are the bearings for underneath the top of my outdrive around the dip stick area? I took off this cover and noticed that there are quite a few flat spots on these bearings. Are they supposed to be that way?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I took off this cover and noticed that there are quite a few flat spots on these bearings. Are they supposed to be that way?
No way!

Have pictures?

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

I do have pics but am having trouble attaching them today for some reason. After looking closer at those flat spots, it seems to me that they may supposed to be there? the flat spots are actually on each ring around every other bearing "steelie" for lack of the correct terminology! the ball bearings don't actually have flat spots, just the rings around every other one. It may be normal. I just have never seen the inside of a outrdrive before. I now have discovered what I think has to be my problem though. I removed the upper drive bearing box and looked back inside the boot at the spline inside. the circular metal housing back there is out of round and has major metal shavings inside the boot. Wish I could attach pics but cant right now for some reason. do you know what this housing, which is about 3-4" in diameter is called? and what I can do to replace it? Thanks for your input.
Jaknkoke--

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Assuming your bearings are ok, have you pulled the upper gear housing to look inside the bellows lately to see if there is water in there and to inspect the u-joints?

EDIT: I see you have another thread going!

Last edited:

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, If you look back a couple posts you can see that I have the upper gear box off and there are major metal shavings back inside the boot. The 3-4" diameter metal housing that surrounds the engine end of the u-joints is worn totally out of round. I have since noticed that when I grab the splined shaft that comes from the bell housing, I can move it back and forth close to a quarter inch also. don't know if that is normal but I can see the bearings back inside move when I move it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your bearings on the flywheel cover are gone. unfortunately you will have to pull the motor to get to it. Easy fix. Just wrenching and time.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Oh my goodness. Pull the motor? easy for some! got any idea how much in parts? Don't know if I'm capable of that. Was afraid of that kind of answer. Thank you though.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

yeah, I am new to this computer thing. couldn't find my way back and started a new one and now I'm all confused! LOL!

Pesimist

Seaman

Gimbal bearings are shot.

Suggestion: Since your "slipping out of gear" problem is solved, might be a good idea to start a new thread for additional issues.

Last edited:

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks

captmello

Captain

Yes, the bearings will need to be replaced, but you may not have to pull the engine to do so. Most of the 4 cylinder motors have the single bearing setup, in which case it can be done without pulling the motor. V8 motors have the two bearing housing. However, depending on how bad the bearings are, sometimes the flywheel cover can get damaged as well. I would suggest finding some kid to help you post some pics. that way we can see what you're looking at. Use Photobucket, its easy.

Or, IF you can, find a local mechanic that knows how to work on these old Volvo Penta motors and outdrives, and pay to have it fixed. At a minimum, you'll need the drive shaft bearings and seals, ujoints and bellows... Its going to cost you either way. The bearings and ujoints are relatively cheap, as they are standard sizes.

We all have our limitations, and boating season is only so long...If you want to DIY it, we're here to help.:)

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

metal shavings (1).jpg Finally figured out how to post pic. Here it is. Is it possible to change out what I need to without pulling engine? It seems like I can. My motor is a 4 cylinder. U-joints and upper gear box are very smooth and seem to be fine. No play at all and extremely smooth to turn by hand. The picture you are looking at is exactly what I saw as soon as I pulled off upper gear box and u-joints I have taken nothing else out of this area. The shaft you see has about 1/4 of play side to side and I can see ball bearings rock back and forth when I move shaft. I am assuming you can see all the metal shavings in the pic. I would like to attempt to fix this myself. Have a feeling I couldn't afford the mechanic to fix this. I just purchased this boat for $800 to take my 10 year old and 15 yr old boys salmon fishing.
Thank you all for your input

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

Ok.

Downlosd this PDF file. It has some very basic info on replacing the bearings.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124018&d=1322930991

The process is assuming you have removed the flywheel housing from the boat and can access both ends of the drive shaft. In your case, you're just working from one end. But the process is about the same.

Here is a parts breakdown

Connecting Components Aq Drive Unit 270, 275a AQ125B - 7744630 - Volvo Penta

At a minimum you'll need #70,71,74. The two seals and bearing. However I would get the old stuff out first to make sure you don't need anything else. You'll want to get a new ujoint bellows as well.

You don't need any specisl tools listed on the PDF file, but you're going to need to be creative.

You are going to need a good snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring #2 holding the bearing in the housing. Once the seal and snap ring have been removed, the shaft can be pulled out with the old bearings still on the shaft. It is pressed in however and will be tight. This will be the trickiest part ,i think. You need to somehow grab the driveshaft with something like a vicegrip, but you cannot damage the splines on the shaft!!!! I have not done this because I had to pull my motor to do my bearings, but many have done it. I'll look for some links.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

I am so grateful for your help, along with others here. Going to check out the link. Looking forward to others you may have.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

View attachment 210183View attachment 210184
Metal shavings were ball bearings. Only half of them even left. Notice no bearings on the right side in these pics. Gave it my damnedest to pull that shaft from this side. Cant get it done. The shaft moves in and out 1/2-3/4" but wont budge the bearing. Should I try putting a self tapping screw in hole in shaft and attach slide hammer, or is there something else holding that shaft in there? Removed 1st snap ring, then pulled a smaller one that was just there loose around shaft, then pulled another the same size as the first that I thought was holding the set of bearings visible here but bearing wont budge.
Thanks,

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I woul be pulling the motor by now.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

simple, if the shaft isnt coming out the end within a short time.

I would pull the motor, pull off the flywheel housing, take it to my arbor press, press out the shaft. While it is out, I would pressure wash the housing, then steam clean it. then I would weld up the housing where the u-joint thrashed it. After dressing the welds, I would then re-paint, press in new seals and re-install.

While the engine is out, I would probably clean the engine and the bilge too.

captmello

Captain

simple, if the shaft isnt coming out the end within a short time.

I would pull the motor, pull off the flywheel housing, take it to my arbor press, press out the shaft. While it is out, I would pressure wash the housing, then steam clean it. then I would weld up the housing where the u-joint thrashed it. After dressing the welds, I would then re-paint, press in new seals and re-install.

While the engine is out, I would probably clean the engine and the bilge too.

Oh, well, hard to argue with that. Perhaps the OP lives near you and could swing by the shop...:eek::rolleyes: