1994 dynasty jet storm 90hp mercury sport jet no spark

M

Maxz695

Re: 1994 dynasty jet storm 90hp mercury sport jet no spark

I used to have one off a 4 cycle 4 cylinder 40 HP oil injected and when I tested it with an ohm meter set on 1 k the yellow wires peg the meter and the green wht wht green where across the scale almost to peg between 1 and 2 if i remember correctly. I blieve it was an A3 16 amp red stator Heres an A1 a bit cheaper but don,t know if its compatable http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item416dcd4157&vxp=mtr Mercury Part # 398-832075-A12-A17 This stator fits Mercury/Mariner/Force 2-4 Cylinders engines.... This stator works on the following engines....... 1997-1999 40 HP Merc/Mariner....1997-2000 50 HP Mercury/Mariner ...1996-1999 90HP Mercury/Mariner ...1996-1997 120 Hp Mercury Force and 1995-1997 Sportjet...

jcochrane281

Cadet

The first one you posted on ebay I was able to buy it I made an offer of 29.99 plus shipping so for around $50 I have one on the way! thanks for all of your help I will keep y'all updated on what happens!

M

Maxz695

Best of luck to you Please be sure to post your progress to let us know if you have done ok or if further assistance is nessecary. My switchbox showed today but rain is in the forcast. everything other than the carb venturi seems in order and ready for a bay run. I have till the 11th My Bday to get her out there then it,s re reg time RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Max....not knocking ya but that aint how a switchbox works nor would the contraption you have wired up as there is no input to box.
I can post you how it works if you what....

M

Maxz695

All due respects Fastbullet I appreciate your input, and information you can give him for proper testing. This contraption is working and has power creating spark running the dead cylinder for over a week for sarting the engine to break in the new rings and pistons. I have my replacement switchbox on my desk in front of me but thunder is looming in the distance. I,ll get it on today. The red blue stator wires send AC to the capacitor in the upper part of the switch box (which is good on the SB that is on the engine) and convert it to 12 V. The trigger wires are sending the 12 V signal to the polls on the lower side of the switchbox They are then put though the electronic componant be it diode or whatever is in the varnish then to the coil poll. The componant blew on the SB on the engine and gave no spark to the plug. When I cut the head off the original SB (The capacitor blew from the wiring harness rubbing the flywheel and the one with the bad sector was a recent replacement that was good but after rebuild refused to fire #3 Frankin crank Order from 123 to 132) and used the terminals the Plug showed good fire and ran the cylinder with REV. Wheather or not the current would be sufficient to run it at WOT I don,t know but it did tell me the SB had the bad sector. Actually I had this working even without the jumper from the engine SB to the one with the single trigger and coil wire attached. This part will go with me out on the water for emergency purposes if needed and I think great to have onboard.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

There is no way that cylinder has spark as those 2 terminals are not tied together in anyway, the capacitor you cut off is what discharges to the coil and you have no stator input to 2nd box. This is how that circuit works ..
The main capacitor runs the top blue red blk yellow blk wht. the circitry for the trigger to coils is seperate
SIMPLE VERSION
The capacitor is charged thru an internal rectifier from the red/blue stator leads(AC voltage) (low/high speed) and is triggered by internal SCR switch(DC voltage) to coils. The SCR only triggers on a + charge from trigger coils thats how it sees which cylinder to fire due to trigger magnet rotating past them.The blk/yel lead is the kill wire which grounds stator output thus stopping spark, the blk/wht is a dual role wire a its ground for one of the trigger coils and also ground for bia's circuit, that why you will see 12 -20 volt on this lead if tested when running.

M

Maxz695

I can send you the SB and you can confirm my findings. I,m gonna double tripple check the plug fire on both SB,s before hooking up my new repacement. I know how bad the engine ran before getting spark through the added SB and how good it runs after getting spark and firing #3 cylinder. I see it with my own eyes and I here it with my own ears You cannot tell me it,s not firing all do respects. I will go as far as make a you tube video after it stops raining for your consideration. My only thought is the mainboard I cut through with a hacksaw before removing the inner varnished unit must still have the nessecary electronics that are nesecary to take the trigger signal and send it to the coil terminal which also makes sense that the bad sector of the main SB had blown that sector componant on the main board and not all 3 Link to my new SB here won on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/281014264181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Cool just found out my offer for the Carbs was accepted 38.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/190647127089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Maxx, my only concern is your use of solid copper wire for coil leads. Solid copper will 'work harden' and break from motor vibration, possibly leaving you with a sick motor out on the water.

Solid copper is fine for a house which does not vibrate with motor RPM.

Please take a roll on multi-strand wire along, cause on day you will definitely need to replace those wires.

I hope it is not in a hurry because of an approaching storm.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

must still have the nessecary electronics that are nesecary to take the trigger signal and send it to the coil terminal
There is NO connection between these 2 terminals other than the SCR, the only way that cylinder could have spark thru that 2nd box is when you cut it it damaged the scr and it firing off trigger voltage and that going to be a real weak spark..

M

Maxz695

I,ll conceed you,re correct. I spent all day out on the engine. I guess the powerpack I bought second already had the dead sector. I just after a brief warm up removed the wires from my make shift secondary SB with no change to the running condition although I did not confirm weather or not spark was present as as a result of the 123 to 132 firing order <may have mid interpreted but swear tied it hook with spark and unhooked there was no spark> which plug i was actually testing for spark. The good news was the engine ran very well after installing the replacement SB and it throtlled up nicely without backfire. After letting her run a bit and feeling the pee stream it got hotter than I cared for or could keep my hand under and tore the damn powerhead back off checking the waterpump impellor(Check Good) baseplate (Check good) Rear cover All ports (checked good) exhaust baffle and exhaust cover all checked good except for the two small ports on the oposite side of the exhaust section.View attachment 174294 Not the water inlet side. They where semi clogged with sealant. These two little pot holes run from the outter baffle of the exhaust section into the rear cover extreemly nessecary for proper water flow and they where restricting the water flow. The exaust port plate was warm to touch but not hot. The pee stream was hot. Many here should be aware of this as I have heard many saying there 70 HP was steaming out the TT at idol. Ok I resealed the engine and went to pump up the bulb and the bottom carb was spewing gas. Obviously the needle got wedged and stuck when turning the powerhead on end. Well that was about all I could handle without breaking somethign after all this time as I was dead tierd.Replacement carbs are on the way as I,m having issues with the lower carb and a cracked venturi. I can say this! It was so good to here the engine kick up on throttle without the backfire before the re dismantle. I guess my honing job and crank rod wristpins bearings are looking to be sucsessful. but with the way things have been going I,m not counting any chickens before they hatch just yet. Thank you fastbullet for the information about the SB. Have a great evening. Update took a hammer and my trusty steel shaft and tapped the carb when it was tilted up and got the needle seat free withought having to dismantle it this morning. I,m gonna fire it up a bit later and test the stream temp.

jcochrane281

Cadet

Ok well here is the UPDATE my stator Came in today I checked it with the meter and got 671 on ohms so I installed it and now I have spark and a running engine Thank's to all Who gave advice and I hope this post helps others in the quest to Fix there Merc 90hp sport jet! Again thanks to Every one esp Maxz695

M

Maxz695

Good job mine came in to a couple days ago and happy to hear it running on all three cylinders after the rebuild. Carbs will be here monday. registration runs up midnight tomorrow the 11th B day more money I don,t have at least it looks like a go. will see and report back asap.

jcochrane281

Cadet

Ok so yesterday I drained all the water/fuel out and got it to start and run last night today Im headed to the lake for a bit and going to give it a few test runs just to see how she is going to act ( dont want to get to far from the ramp could be a long paddle lol)

jcochrane281

Cadet

Is there anyway to check the timing I think its out of time now maybe the key way in the flywheel might have broke

M

Maxz695

it more than likely wouldn,t run unless the flywheel just moved a tiny bit if the key broke. Take out plug #1 set the piston to TDC where you see the piston at it,s haighest point. Use the eraser end of a pencil to get the piston at the uppermost point. Check the flywheel and see if it is lining up on the 0 of the timing marks. if it,s not on zero you may be right.

jcochrane281

Cadet

Ok do you know of any pictures that will show me where 0 is? and I blew the ride plate to hell when it back fired

M

Maxz695

there should be a pointer on the front of the motor probably near the starter. Not firmiliar with the 90 HP some are removable and are somewhere on the motor and need to be installed. The flywheel should have markings from 0 to degrees before Top dead center and degrees after top dead center. 0 is when the piston is at it,s highest point of cylinder #1. cylinder 1 should be marked on the rear cover usually the top cylinder.I don,t have a picture of the flywheel markings but i can post one in the morning if no one eles does. Here is a picture of my old 40 HP the pointer would be where the starter is like on my 70 HP but the 40 HP is all the way up top to the right of the flywheel this picture. The 0 would be marked on the edge of the flywheel View attachment 174803 How long did you run it before this happened? You said you blew the ride plate? are you sure you didn,t pull in a rock. this would maybe be why the plate broke and stopped the prop dead which would shear the flywheel pin. Just woundering. esspecially if you ran it for some time before this happened. By the explaination it sounds like the prop picked something up wedged it between the prop blade and the ride plate. At that point the prop locked up along with the drive and crankshaft breaking the key and sending the flywheel off and thats when the backfire occured. I would after testing I stated above check all gears while turning the engine overby hand in F N and R and make sure the prop turns in the direction it is supposed to to see if damage was done to the driveshaft. If I,m correct and your initial thought of it being the key way it my just be replaced. Get back to me and let me know what you find. Thanks

M

Maxz695

Bump don,t want to confuse this situation last post edited

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If your flywheel is as the one pictured in Maxz post #37, a bolted hub, then it is always possible that someone has had the outer flywheel off the hub and reassembled it clocked wrong.

This is another reason to follow Maxz advise to check TDC of the top cyl and look to where the timing marks inscribed on the flywheel are, if more than just a few degrees away from the indicator position you may have both a sheared flywheel key and an incorrectly 'clocked' flywheel/hub.

jcochrane281

Cadet

If your flywheel is as the one pictured in Maxz post #37, a bolted hub, then it is always possible that someone has had the outer flywheel off the hub and reassembled it clocked wrong.

Mine has the key way and later today I will check to see if it sheared off