1993 Starcraft Starcaster 16 ds

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 1993 Starcraft Starcaster 16 ds

^^^ priceless!

SigSaurP229

Commander

SOme of my favorite memories in my rebuilds are just like that.

Do it right and she will stay around long enough for them to enjoy with their kids as well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

That is one neat little SC you have there and very worthy of a 2nd shot at being new once again. :thumb:

barato2

Commander

he sticks the kid in a Guy Harvey shirt ANd puts him to work on the boat? a man after my own heart. that will yield rewards way beyond a nicely resto'd boat good for another 40+ yrs. :thumb:

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Well i've been busy with little things here and there. Not much progress to show. I do have a question as to fastening down the deck, and sole. Should i use flat head phillips head ss screws in predrilled holes sealed with epoxy and 5200, or some self tapping ss screws sealed? Also should i screw it down before my non skid top coat or after? if i do it before my top coat i am afraid if i have to remove the deck for some reason it may be a pain to find them again. Then again i don't know if i want shiny screw heads visible all over my nice new non skid deck.

barato2

Commander

on the screws, i'd do the former option. 5200 might be overkill here, plus will make it durn near impossible to get em out later if you need to. not drilling pilot holes will risk pushing the stringer down away from the deck panel before the screw bites. and you can make em neater that way, IMHO.

and i'd coat after screwing.....take pics of screwed deck with tape measure visible before you put down nonskid so you can locate screws later, incl specific pics pointing out any easily-missed ones.

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

"not drilling pilot holes will risk pushing the stringer down away from the deck panel before the screw bites."
That makes perfect sense. Thanks. Barato2.

On the 5200, i was planning on predrilling my holes slightly bigger in the top deck, then sealing them with epoxy, then drill again to correct size for my screw. I was going to drop the 5200 in with the screw to help prevent corosion between the screw and aluminum. Because of other corrosion issues in the boat and it will see occational saltwater use, i just want to do it right. If the benefits are minimal and it will create a hassle if i have to remove the deck in the future, say to install a new bow light plug or wires, then i will skip the 5200.

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

On second thought. I think I am overthinking this. the screws will be covered in primer and non skid so i don't think i need to do anything other then predrill and screw.. :facepalm:

barato2

Commander

i agree. 5200 is more for below-waterline through-hull sealing.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Glass cloth...good stuff!!

Starting to really come together!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

The decks going in is best part for me for some reason. Looking good! :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Getting the deck in is a major turning point. All down hill now. And the wood will last until the day before the end of time with the resin and cloth. :thumb:

barato2

Commander

deck looks like you could conduct dance classes on it.....

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Got the metal primed for non-skid. Then picked up some nice hinges from a friend and started drawing up ideas for storage lids on the starboard side. Then just as I was about to bust open the tuff coat..

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to some very kind longtime family friends. I was given this today. I've been wanting a 40-60 hp to put on the starcraft and this merc 50 would be perfect. It's been sitting for about 6 years but looks very clean under the hood. The old whaler's gonna be a neat future project and the trailer is exceptional.

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

I am blessed. Now I guess I Need to look into the merc forums.