1993 spl 88hp charging system specs and possible issue

jeep8589

Cadet
I have a 1993 evinrude 88hp outboard. I was looking over the charging system, as I am about to go on vacation with the boat, and giving it a once over. I hooked my multimeter up on the battery terminals and had 12.2v. I fired the engine up, and still 12.2v. I revved the engine to 2800rpms, and let it sit there for about 15 seconds, and 12.2volts. So, concerned, I tested the diodes. They appeared to be working ok, and showed polarity in only one direction on both the positive and negative terminals. The resistance readings were also consistent between the 2 yellow wires on the respective terminals, with the positive being higher than the ground side. By the way, I have the rectifier with the 2 yellow, and one red wire. I then thought that maybe the stator was weak, or the voltage regulator was set lower than normal for some reason. so I fired the engine up, and tested both yellow wires to ground on AC current. The reading was around 16v on each. From what I read, that sounded about right. Then I tested the voltage coming out of the rectifier, before the regulator, and still 12.2v. Is this normal for this charging system. I know that it is only like 8amps of charge, but I would think I would see a higher voltage output to the battery. Is this right, and it is just that slow to show a change in voltage, or am I missing something here?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You may be ok. The volt gauge on a boat will show normal battery voltage. If you just start it, it will read, say 12.2 volts (just a tad low.) Your test was probably not valid. Your 15 seconds of test charging at 2800 rpm's won't replace much charge in the battery. You need to run it at 4000 rpm's in the lake for 15 minutes or more. During that time, a normal charging system will gradually increase the observed battery voltage. It should slowly creep up. After maybe a half hour (or more) of running at 4000, it should read maybe 16+ (since you do not have a regulated charging system on that 88 engine.)

mpd51890

Cadet
what type of battery should be used with an unregulated battery, i get about 15V + on mine i just replaced the rectifer because i was getting no charge or rpm signal!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
what type of battery should be used with an unregulated battery, i get about 15V + on mine i just replaced the rectifer because i was getting no charge or rpm signal!

Please start a new thread, this one is old and inactive. Look at the help tips on top of the page.