1993 outboard 200? Help

vietcu

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys, first post but I've been lurking for a few month. I just bought a 1990 Sunbird with a 1993 Mercury 200 outboard ( I think). We took it out on the lake to test and seems ok but I noticed some stuff I didn't like so wanted to get some advice from you guys. First of all motor started fine but no flow of water was exiting at all through the exit hole? I unscrewed the bottom oil screw and hardly anything came out, but oil did seem to look clean whatever was in there. Last I'm trying to open the cover to check everything inside, but can't for the life of me figure how to do it. I am attaching some pictures for reference, following the number I think it is a1993, but don't quote me on that.

vietcu

Seaman Apprentice
IMG_3755.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
2001988LB241881 - C100861

That hood I believe is a clamshell splits in 1/2. On the front of the hood that piece should come off and under that should be the latches. Did you look to see if the pee-hole itself is plugged. If very little oil came out of the lower unit that needs to be filled.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
latch under tha bottom of tha face plate.. pull face plate out at bottom and down to start tha "process"...

vietcu

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help guys. I was able to remove the cover and lower unit and got the pump working. The hole was also clogged hence the reason no water was coming out. Now I have another question.
IMG_3764.jpg

That hose, is that normal? Or does it attach to something? The end seems to be ripped from somewhere it wasn't clean. Looks like it was ripped from another place. Thanks

UKMike

Seaman
it is your speedo hose
I use marine engine com for diagrams, they are really helpful

Last edited: