1993 Evinrude 200 hard start mystery

captainmugs

Cadet
I have a 1993 Evinrude 200. I took it to the boat ramp a month ago and the motor would crank and crank and not start. Took the number one plug out to see if I had spark turned the key and it immediately fired up with the number one plug out. I put the plug back in and off I go. The motor ran great the rest of the weekend starting quickly every time. Take it out yesterday and the same thing happens crank it and crank it and crank it ... nothing. Take the plug out of number one cylinder to check it and when I turn it over it fires right up with the plug out. I'm truly baffled any insight would be greatly appreciated. My starting procedure is is 1/4 throttle push the key in while cranking which has always worked until these last few times, Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's possible that taking out the one plug allows the starter to spin the motor slightly faster, make sure the starter, battery and all the connections are in good shape.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's possible that taking out the one plug allows the starter to spin the motor slightly faster, make sure the starter, battery and all the connections are in good shape.
Yep....mine was getting hard(er) to start the first time.

Long story, new starter. Has never started easier

captainmugs

Cadet
Replaced the starter with a brand new starter from Evinrude the motor fired right up problem solved!!!! Thanks for the advice !