1993 60 evinrude missing above 3000 rpm once warm

fredcombs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. Recently have an issue I thought I would run past everyone. 1993 evinrude 60 starts and run fine until it’s warm. Pulling away from the ramp it accelerates like normal and gets on plane etc. once on plane it starts cutting out. Sometimes it “catches” and picks up where it left off in the rpm range sometimes it will completley shut down. It will restart fine and run perfect below 3000 rpm’s. Anything above that it sounds like a cylinder is intermittently cutting out. I have verified spark with an open air gap tester and have done a cylinder drop test while in the water and all
Checks out good there. I know I need to break the DVA adapter out and start checking ignition components but just wanted to hear some thoughts. Will be running it off an external tank to eliminate the boat fuel tank soon.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like limp mode, no?

fredcombs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like limp mode, no?

Great point! I have good water flow and the impeller is in good shape. I will unplug the tan wire and see what happens

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check all pins / sockets on plug in connecters.-----Run with a timing light one cylinder at a time.----Might find the cylinder that is losing spark.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It could be fuel supply is too little above 3000rpm. Pump the primer bulb as you accelerate and see if it clears up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or was it moved to the top of the block?----Per a service bulletin in 1994.----Latest water pump kit has the details.