1992 Johnson 60hp cold start problems. Please help

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys. I purchased a used 60hp Johnson 1992 (60TLEN) and everything seems to work fine except on cold starts it's takes a long time to get going. This is what I do. Put it in the water, pump the bulb till it gets hard, flip the choke and turn the key. It takes a long time to catch. It seems that the choke doesn't really do anything. It does eventually catch but I'm fearing I will wear out my starter.
I confirmed the choke is working but I didn't check to look at the butterflies internally in the carb. The fuel filter is getting gas in to it as I pump the bulb.
Once it's warmed up and running it starts very easily. But as soon as it gets cold, it takes constant turning over with the key to get it started again.
What could it be? Choke not working properly internally. What's the best way to troubleshoot this. I hope I'm not missing anything.
Thanks everyone in advance. Chris from Pickering ON

phillnjack2

Ensign

well first of all there is NO butterflys for the choke in a 1992 Johnson 60hp, its a choke solenoid on the side of engine operated electrically from the key.
this unit puts fuel directly into the inlet manifold NOT in the carbs !!!
PIC INCLUDED OF ELECTRIC PRIMER SYSTEM

Now you say you blip the choke ??????
this is how to start the engine..1/ put key in ,2/ lift fast idle lever, 3/ turn to right a touch , 4/ push key in all the way and turn to the right,
once engine starts you let go of pressure on the key. now you might find you have to give the key the odd blip, but without keeping the key pushed in you wont start easy at all unless warm engine.

Now when you take the cover off the engine on the right hand side is the electric choke solenoid thing with a little red lever.
make sure the little red lever is pointing towards to the back of the unit AS IN PICTURE ABOVE !!!
this lever is only to be used in emergency starting procedure and normally left in the one position (pointing towards the back of engine).

I have no idea of what you mean by you can tell the choke is working if your not holding in the key on the remote box ?

once you do it the right way these engines start very quick, that's why the system is called quickstart !!!

hope this helps.

phill

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Phil. I had no idea this is how to start it. The guy who sold it to me didn't give me specific instructions. I will give this process a try today hopefully and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted. One question from your instructions above. "you have to give the key the odd blip" What does this mean? Thanks, Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow Phill. I tried your instructions and worked like a charm. And for the last 2 days we were cranking that starter for 5 to 6 minutes every time. Although it started, it took way too long. I hope I didn't do any damage to the starter. I hope you will be around for years to come on this forum cause I'm sure I'll have more questions. I really appreciate your advice. Thanks again. Chris

chead98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, I was doing the same thing on mine until I came here. The dumb ass that sold it to me never gave me proper starting instructions. I still find that out on the water(warm start) I will sometimes flood it. It will sometime start without the choke but sometimes not. Touchy, so be careful not to over choke it.