1992 Johnson 25hp

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to explore the culprit of my oil leak around the prop. Its not unburned gas mix, I can tell by the color and the smell.

I resealed the lower unit completely two years ago when I first got the motor because it leaked around the prop. In that process it was evident it was the large oring that goes around the bearing cage. It had a spot on it that was flat.

Well about a week ago I noticed it was doing the same thing, so I just assumed it was that oring, and I bought and replaced that cause its like a $1 fix, vs the whole seal kit.

Well its still leaking around the prop. I am just checking to make sure the only places it could be...so my theoy is other than the oring I just replaced, the only other spots oil could get past that bearing cage are through the prop seals (which there are two of them back to back), and under those two rubber washers that go under the bolts that attach the bearing cage to the inside of the lower unit. I thought it may be able to seep under those.

Anyways, any ideas? I didnt see any fishing line in the seals when I pulled it apart a week ago, but I didnt inspect really close to see if the seals had cracks or whatever.

I am just thinking with the extreme winter we had and the extreme summer, it may have wore the seals a little.

Any ideas on anything I need to check will be greatly appreciated.