1992 Evinrude Problems

zebo007

Cadet
Good morning

I guess let me start from the beginning. I was going fishing about a two months ago
And went to test run the motor the night before and found out the power pack went
Out (No spark) after sitting up for a couple of weeks. I had no problems prior to this
Except the tach would act a little funny every now and then. So I changed the power
Pack and everything was fine the first trip. The next time I took the boat out it ran
Fine the first 20-30 minutes and then the motor would shutdown and come right
Back on like someone was turning the key on and off. I would back down on the
Throttle and it would run fine for a little while and start doing it again. I usually run
The boat about 5200 RPMs and have about 20 pounds water pressure at that RPM.
Next I talked to a boat mechanic buddy of mine and he said he would try changing
The stator and regulator so I did that and now the motor won?t Idle. It starts up fine
And then after 3-4 seconds just shuts off like someone turned the key off. If I start
The motor and idle it up to about 1200 RPMs it will stay running until I drop it back
Down to an Idle. Maybe got a bad Stator? Any Suggestions?

zebo007

Cadet
Re: 1992 Evinrude Problems

This is a 1992 70 evinrude with the VRO disconnected.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

There's a couple different ways to solve a mechanical problem: one way is to take a guess at which part might be broke and replace it, then take another guess, replace another part, and again and again and so on, hoping that your money holds out until the symptoms stop. The other way is to do a few tests and replace only what's broken.

What I would do is: a compression test first (no sense wasting time & money on an engine with bad compression;
then inspect all the wiring coming off the stator & timer base, looking for burned/missing insulation, corrosion, pinched/chafed wires.
Inspect all the ground connections bolted to the engine block, including the powerpack mounting bolts, for corrosion and tightness.
Cylinder drop test: engine idling, pull then replace each spark plug wire one at a time; if rpm's don't decrease noticeably, that cylinder's not making power.
A spark test at 7/16", and while I'm at it, inspect the spark plugs, noting their appearance and any differences from one to the next.
Inspect the fuel tank for debris/water in the fuel. Inspect the fuel filter(s). Make sure the fuel line is holding pressure and the fuel is fresh. Inspect the fuel lines, fittings and pump, looking for fuel leaks, air leaks, brittle cracked lines. Make sure the primer lever is set to electric and there's no fuel leaking into the engine through the valves.
Make sure all three throttle valves are parallel and moving in sync.
Pull the flywheel to see if the key is sheared.

welcome to iboats!

zebo007

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response. Compression should be OK because before I changed the stator this little motor would push a Nitro 170DC out of the water
and up to 6000 RPMs. I had a car mechanic friend of mine check spark with a test light and motor dropped RPMs on each plug. I tested all the electronics and all tested fine before I ordered any parts. This was a intermittent problem before I changed the stator. It seemed like after 20 minutes of riding it would start cutting in and out. Something must be getting hot and shorting out? I guess I will put my old stator back on and see if will Idle like before and start back from there. I'll check the ground and all wires to see if notice anything.

Again thanks for the response

Jason

zebo007

Cadet

Update

I changed the power pack again over the weekend and everything is back to
normal. Must have got a bad one.