1992 Crownline 196BR Floor rebuild

kleake

Seaman Apprentice
A buddy of mine just picked up a used 1992 Crownline 196BR with extensive floor rot. This boat has been out and uncovered for several years. The main soft spot is over where the ski locker "used" to be. The previous owner had it removed and glassed over because they never used it and said it always had water in it. He bought the boat super cheap,,, basically for the price of the trailer, so he can sink some cash in it to do the repairs, but we may find it needs alot more than we anticipated. At this point, it looks like floor and likely stringer replacement, 50-75% interior vinyl replacement, minor engine work, gimble bearing, bellows, impeller, possible steering cable, and some flaking gelcoat on the bottom right next to where the trailer bunk sets. We are planning to get the engine running, take it for a short 5-10 minute trial run to verify mechanical issues, then pull the drive and do the bellows and gimble bearing and impeller. We will also do something about the gelcoat to eliminate further issues. Then this winter will likely be when we take on the floor and stringers as it's a larger job. The nice thing is the floor appears to be 100% flat (unlike my Rinker 182), so I am hoping it isn't too bad. Is there anything special I need to be looking out for or be prepared for? I have worked with fiberglass very minimally, and years ago on a camper, but I know boats are different to some degree. The floor I think is pretty straight forward, but the stringers it was has me a little scared. Any input is appreciated.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Crownline 196BR Floor rebuild

Welcome to iBoats!

Stringers are NO BIG DEAL. I have attached some drawings that will give you some VISUAL ideas of what all is involved and here's the BEST link on the Forum to "Show and Tell" you what you will be getting into.

(Click the pics to Enlarge)

Stringers

34 Stringers.jpg

Decks

Decks.jpg

Transoms

TransomBuild.jpg

Grab a 6-pack and kick back for a couple of hours and read this post. You'll KNOW everything you need to know after viewing this.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454460