1992 60 hp Johnson with bad trim switch in handle

I have a 1992 Johnson 60 hp, the trim switch works find on the engine but the switch on the throttle handle will not go up or down and I can't hear the solenoids. I'm not sure where to start my trouble shooting. Thanks for the help Robert

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 60 hp Johnson with bad trim switch in handle

Find the plug in the wiring from the handle.-It should be about 5 feet from the handle.--Now jumper the wires going to the motor. ---Have an assistant handy and use an ohmeter to check the switch in the handle.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you're jumping the wires to the mtr, Go to red and blue, that is up. Then go to red and green, that is down.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Yup. First guess would be a bad connection. However the switches do go bad. Had to replace one on my 90.

Thank you for the help with my trim problem, I think I understand how to check my plug and wiring I'm checking for resistance from the wiring going to the motor from the handle with the batteries off? and not checking for continuity with the power on.
Thanks again Robert

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not unusual for those switches to get rainwater in them and fail after many years. You've gotten some good troubleshooting tips.

:):):) Yeah!! Good news with the advice here I was able to track down the problem to a loose connection at the engine wire harness. Thanks for all the help Robert