1992 25 Hp fuel pump

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay I have a 1992 25 HP Johnson # J25Rlend motor. I had suspicion that my fuel pump was not working so I bought a repair kit and as I was attempting to repair the pump I found a spring in the pump all bent up really badly. The kit does not come with that spring and I do not even know the model # for it and can not seem to find it to buy without having to buy a new pump itself. I dont want to do that they run $100 and up. Could any body tell me where to get a spring?

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1992 25 Hp fuel pump

sorry guys. I was looking at the wrong fuel pumps. the one i want i can get for about $45 not $100 so i will just buy the whole thing.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I was on the lake last week and the motor would run great on low speed but when I would WOT is would run really sluggish unless I would keep pumping the bulb by hand. Got it home took the fuel pump apart and I found it had a mangled spring so I bought a new pump. I am almost 100% that it’s the fuel pump that is making the motor run this way what do you guys think?

(kind of the same post up top i just wanted to get more ideas on the thread)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If the fuel pump don't solve the problem, then I would suspect the high speed jet in the carb is partially plugged up.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL. I have had this 1992 25 hp for 2 years now and it has been given me guff ever since it will not let me go WOT without having to prime the bulb. Here is what I have done. Check spark it is great installed new Champion spark plugs, new coils, new spark plug wires,rebuilt caborator 2 times, new fuel pump, new hose and bulb, checked compression 110 psi each side, cleaned fuel tank new fuel, new impeller, new thermostat but still I have to pump the bulb to get it to WTO. It will let me go half throttle fine and will start first pull every time.

What can it be I am kind of getting sick of buying stuff for this motor. Today while running the bulb is just soft unless I pump it. I also took the fuel cap off to make sure it was venting.

so were is the high speed jet?? i have taken apart the carb cleaned and put a rebuld kit in it and every hole has been cleaned and good to go.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Usually if you have to pump the primer bulb to make it run it indicates a defective fuel pump, you replaced the pump.
Did you replace the gasket between the pump and block?
Did you check the passage in the block to see if it was restricted or plugged?
What about the fuel lines and connections, clean and tight?
The high speed jet is in the carb bowel behind the drain screw.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

carb 1992.jpgyes on everything but when you say "Did you check the passage in the block to see if it was restricted or plugged?
"
what do you mean? i replaced the fuel line just now and i noticed the pulse line was dry. is that normale?

is #22 the high speed. if it is it is very clean

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Make sure there isn't any trash and up behind the main jet #22. You could be getting air into the fuel line system, pull fuel pump fuel line going to carb set fuel tank on the ground and spin motor over checking fuel pump to verify it is in fact pumping fuel, if it is, then your carb needs better cleaning. If pump isn't pumping well, check fuel hose connections from tank to motor, fuel connectors could have damaged O-rings.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Can you borrow a fuel tank with primer bulb and hose from someone? I am suspecting the primer bulb or tank pickup tube is the problem.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel connectors are brand new and seal tight. I checked the screen in the fuel pickup line is was not clogged. the tank will hold pressure so i wouldn't think anything on there would be leaking but the fitting to the tank with the pickup line will not tighten up it feels stripped but like I said the tank will still hold pressure I would think it is fine. Could that be a problem?

i just repaced the fuel line so they are brand new.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i'm thinking since i already have so much time in this i will just buy a new tank and go from there. everything on the carb seems be good and the pump is pumping fuel. please tell me it should be something fuel related and not something more.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are you getting a good pulse through the hose that operates the pump?

AlTn

Commander

for testing purposes run a clear vinyl line from the pump outlet to carb fuel bowl nipple...should remain a solid fuel steam w/o bubbles...repeat, don't run this as a permanent fuel line

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do i check the pulse ?

Okay to be sure that I am doing a compression check correctly. First step tack top spark plug out install compression tester turn over till it stops. Second step reinstall spark plug then repeat for lower end. Did that and both show 110 PSI. today bought new #22 orifice, new hose and bulb with new fuel tank. All new fuel line have also been replaced. Hope this works. I wont be getting it out till next week so I cant test it till then.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update:
So today I have taken apart the carb again and I noticed the I have an open hole (seen in picture) it has always been open so I assumed that it was supposed to be but I also have had the fuel problem for the whole time as well. iwehn i rebuilt the carb i replaced the one that was in there. So should it be plugged or open?

i would think this would give me alot of air,
could this be my problem? P1040620.jpg

AlTn

Commander

both plugs should be out during the compression test in the event the head gasket is blown between the cylinders ...that hole remains open

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

both plugs should be out during the compression test in the event the head gasket is blown between the cylinders ...that hole remains open
okay thanks. i just did the test with both out same results 110 psi.

AlTn

Commander

I can see maybe 2 things happening when pumping the bulb...1. the added pressure is forcing fuel through the primer system directly into the intake..2. the added pressure is forcing more fuel into the bowl because the needle can't seat fully

Can you remove the primer hose from the intake then pump the fuel bulb to determine if fuel is being forced by the orings in the primer?

Instead of setting the float parallel with the carb casting, raise the free end of the float 1/8" or so and see how that affects the mid to wot running.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how do i check the pulse ?

Okay to be sure that I am doing a compression check correctly. First step tack top spark plug out install compression tester turn over till it stops. Second step reinstall spark plug then repeat for lower end. Did that and both show 110 PSI. today bought new #22 orifice, new hose and bulb with new fuel tank. All new fuel line have also been replaced. Hope this works. I wont be getting it out till next week so I cant test it till then.

You also want throttle fully open when doing a compression check.

Taylorsville

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i messed with the float a little it look like the needle is seating well see pic also how much fuel should be coming out of the hole in red on the picture? P1040621.jpgP1040622.JPG
I can see maybe 2 things happening when pumping the bulb...1. the added pressure is forcing fuel through the primer system directly into the intake..2. the added pressure is forcing more fuel into the bowl because the needle can't seat fully

Can you remove the primer hose from the intake then pump the fuel bulb to determine if fuel is being forced by the orings in the primer?

Instead of setting the float parallel with the carb casting, raise the free end of the float 1/8" or so and see how that affects the mid to wot running.