1991 superfisherman rebuild

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1991 superfisherman rebuild

The way the under structure is laid out....would probably be somewhat easy to use pour in foam instead of pink board etc.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The way the under structure is laid out....would probably be somewhat easy to use pour in foam instead of pink board etc.

BITE YOUR TONGUE SON. This aint the glasser forums. :lol:

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, pressure washing is done for the day. I could not find any leaky rivets during the washing or after, but I did find a small pinhole on the starboard side reverse chine where it meets the transom. Once she dries out, I will have to give it a closer look.

Top mark is the hole, bottom spot is just a chip. Can I just throw a rivet in there, or should I use another method?

DSCN0396_zps642df614.jpg

Is this corrosion?? If it is, how should I address it? Its only surface for now, would like to keep it that way.

DSCN0403_zps19551503.jpg

this is the corner of the knee brace and the transom in the bilge. The small gap in the corner is where the water drains into the bilge from the outside stringer. As you can see, its not hard to get some crap in the drain channel and block flow. Could I enlarge the drain area a bit, or should I avoid because it is the knee brace?

DSCN0401_zps2d18ac9d.jpg

A little cleaner after the pressure wash.

DSCN0404_zps06efe400.jpg

barato2

Commander

for the hole, i think i'd just put a small patch over it with JBweld.

yes, that's corrosion. not sure what to do to stop it....clean alum fanatically then paint or clearcoat?

enlarging the drainage hole, even in knee brace, a TINY bit shouldn't make your transom fall off. but the same crud that will clog that one will clog the limber holes all dwon the length of the hull, so it's a better plan to just hyper clean the inside of hull just before you drop floors in for good, and then keep it covered. my 2 pesos' worth.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

your thinking jbweld over something like marine tex?

barato2

Commander

no, i meant using the JB to glue in a small patch of aluminum over the inside of the hole

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was doing some thinking tonight. I didn't really pay attention to the rivets when I pulled the deck out. What are the best rivets to reinstall the floor? Where do you guys buy them? I plan to install them under nautolex marine vinyl.

On to rivet guns. I stopped by my local fastenal store. Damn.

their heavy duty rivet gun $236

Fastenal Heavy Duty Hand Rivet Tool | Fastenal

0126010.jpg

On harbor freight website. $20

Heavy Duty 17-1/2" Hand Riveter With Collection Bottle

image_16310.jpg

Tell me that the harbor freight heavy duty one will work for my application.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For occasional use the HF is fine. If you were doing ALL the rivets in the boat, yeah then go with Fastenall. I'm sure the Fastenall is made in China too.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Every metal boat rebuilder MUST own one of these...

IMAG0059.jpg

I'm serious.

dozerII

Admiral

Every metal boat rebuilder MUST own one of these...

IMAG0059.jpg

I'm serious.

What he said, they are cheap, I paid 39 or 49 bucks for mine 6 years ago and it was worth every penny. Never any blisters and if you have to hold parts in place it is one hand operation.

budski

Lieutenant Commander

I totally agree with Jas and Glen, been using one of these for the last 7 years, wore one out now on my second one, only way to go if you have a compressor.

barato2

Commander

you guys have sold me. i paid more than that for a good manual one at Ace. my hands get wasted enough trying to tighten nylock nuts with a screwdriver.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, havn't had much time to do much exept work on cleaning that stinking glue starcraft uses to apply their carpet. Sorry, no new pics. I do have another question though. I Have a through hull for my old livewell that I won't be using. Whats the beat way to patch, replace, or seal it?

2_zps9eaea49a.jpg