1991 BAYLINER deck rot question

Darren b

Seaman
hey guys I am new here, let me start off by saying I am a car guy, restored a few classic cars in my time. just bought my first boat last month, 1991 bayliner classic 19' with 3 L I/O. I just finished recovering the upholstery, It was going great and was giving the boat a final clean before showing the wife, when i happen to take a better look in the ski storage. and found some rotten wood, well one thing lead to another and I pretty much have the whole deck ripped up. So I have 3 questions I need a Boat guy to help me with. 1) should I use pressure treated plywood to replace the deck? 2) All my foam under the deck was so water logged, should I be worried about a leak in the hull, I have not had the boat in water, but I inspected the bottom of the boat and it looks good, seeing that I ruined the old foam what can I replace it with, is there some kind of aftermarket marine sprayfoam? 3) upon futher inspection of the front motor mount (after pealing off the 1/2" plywood between the motor mount and the gas tank) I drilled four 1/4" test holes into the wood motor mount and it looks like only the first 1/2" of the motor mount is a bit soft, I was thinking of trying to chisel off the first 1/2" off the mount and replacing the original 1/2" plywood between the motor mount and the gas tank with a 1" board the make up for the 1/2" I removed from the motor mount. then refibreglassing the mount. any help or advise would be appreciated thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 BAYLINER deck rot question

bayliner deck rot.

hi darren...welcome to iboats !

im just going to read your post now...

your in the right place....your guys can help you with this

oops!

Supreme Mariner

1) should I use pressure treated plywood to replace the deck?

i love using pressure treated wood to do a deck.....however the pt ply, comes very wet....lots of moisture in the wood.
the deck needs to be glassed in...so the wood needs to be dry (very dry) to take the resin....
pt ply usually needs to be dried for a month or three before you can glass it.

if you dont have that time line.....then 1/2 inch exterior grade ply is fine. it too is wet....but can be dried good enough by placing a fan on it for a week or so before it gets glassed.

2) All my foam under the deck was so water logged, should I be worried about a leak in the hull, I have not had the boat in water, but I inspected the bottom of the boat and it looks good, seeing that I ruined the old foam what can I replace it with, is there some kind of aftermarket marine sprayfoam?

it is entirely possible that you have a small hole in the hull.....caused by a bad trailer, a beaching, or stump !
however, waterlogged foam is common of bayliners of that era.
after all the foam is out....i mean all the wet stuff.....(its generally wet at the bottom and dry on top) then you can inspect the hull for possible breaches.....you can also look right now....look under the hull with your creeper.
it is possible that the breach is under a bunk....so you might not be able to see it.

as far as spray in foam.....the stuff is carp.....2 part pour in foam is the industry standard, and availabe at any marine store, or right here at iboats.

3) upon futher inspection of the front motor mount (after pealing off the 1/2" plywood between the motor mount and the gas tank) I drilled four 1/4" test holes into the wood motor mount and it looks like only the first 1/2" of the motor mount is a bit soft, I was thinking of trying to chisel off the first 1/2" off the mount and replacing the original 1/2" plywood between the motor mount and the gas tank with a 1" board the make up for the 1/2" I removed from the motor mount. then refibreglassing the mount. any help or advise would be appreciated thanks

you might find a lot more rot by the time you are done the guy bud, including the transom.
but we can walk you right thru that when you get to that phase......you are a little ways away from that right now.

the best thing to di is to start reading here at iboats.....this is boat university, and the largest pleasure craft repair forum in the world. every thing is here.....all you have to do is read.

in the link in my sig....is everything you need to know..is in there...including the restoration of a 91 capri.

the link im giving you here, is called how to replace a deck and foam a hull...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543161

cheers
oops

rickryder

Commander

Hi Darin Welcome to The Dry Dock!

First question... No need for PT plywood....you would have to wait 3-4 months or more for it to dry out before you could glass it.
Regular cdx ply or underlayment ply from the lumber yard covered in 1 layer1.5oz csm on bottom and 1.5oz csm and a layer of 6oz woven or biax on the top.

The waterlogged foam must be ripped out and you will need to core sample your stringers and transom to check for water intrusion.

You can either use a 2 part pour in foam or the Dow insulation blue or pink board to refoam....

I would like to see pics of the motor mount area before suggesting a fix for that.

Take a look at my resto thread below to see what wet foam will do under the deck.....

Looking forward to your rebuild ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats a bay liner rick......the hull would have to be reinforced before he went rigid

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats Darren b.
If you take some pictures it would be a benefit for you. Bayliners are known for bad floors. (then again most other of them are)
Don't think you have a leak in the hull. Probably wasn't covered properly in the elements.
I have a 88, 17ft cuddy Capri with an outboard and I would like to rip the floor out but it only has one bad spot in front of the bat box. When I walk around the ski compartment hatch the floor just bends and cracks in the fiber and it has no sign of water or rot. Told it was stored indoors. I was thinking on using half inch cedar for mine when its time.

93bayliner1800

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello Darren, welcome to inlays as well. I am currently doing a complete restoration on my 93phone Bayliner. I found very similar signs as you. These guys on here are the best.....and if you want something bigger.....well that's is oops specialty! ;) I have a lot of videos of mine. I am just about to bed my stringers. Let me know any way I can help.

rickryder

Commander

thats a bay liner rick......the hull would have to be reinforced before he went rigid

Ahh yes..... pour in foam it is then :D My bad.... good thing I have you watchin me oops!

Darren b

Seaman

WOW I was not expecting all this info so fast I guess I am on the right forum. Last week at this time I was almost in tears, thinking I completely had a junk boat. I will get some pics up asap. thanks guys Darren

rickryder

Commander

WOW I was not expecting all this info so fast I guess I am on the right forum. Last week at this time I was almost in tears, thinking I completely had a junk boat. I will get some pics up asap. thanks guys Darren

This is the premier boating forum :D

Darren b

Seaman

hey guys where is the best place to look for transom rot? thanks

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Around the out drive and below. Look for cracking on the gel coat also.

rickryder

Commander

Start low and work up.... Look where the stringers butt the transom.... Are you taking core samples? 3/8" drill bit go in about half way... wrap tape around drill bit at about 1" so you have a depth gauge to work with....don't driil thru the outer skin. If you find wet damp dark wood chips=rot.....clean dry light colored chips =good.... if it's all good just fill core holes with 3m 5200.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

PIC_0391.jpg

Extremely low in most cases you know the spot you cant get to. I tested my transom and it was good. Then I put her in the water and it leaked like a siv.

Darren b

Seaman

I can drill into the transom 1" without poping through the outside? thanks

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You only need to drill 3/4 inch in. the problem is can you drill under the engine? That is where my rot was. As you can see in the picture the wood was gone. The sides were not bad.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

a cheap simple tool to use as a depth gauge

is a piece of tape around the drill but.

measure 3/4 inch from the tip of the drill bit......put masking tape so the edge is at the 3/4 mark......and when you drill....stop at the tape !

simple ....and effective

Darren b

Seaman

well guys I drilled a few 3/8" holes into the transom under the motor and the wood that came out looked pretty wet but the transom itself looks real good with no signs off fibreglass chipping or peeling. Is this a job I can do after I complete the deck retore? Seeing I have not driven the boat yet I am worried I might have to pull the motor any ways to work on it. so I was thinking do the deck now and the transom and motor mount this winter. any advice thanksDSC00628

rickryder

Commander

Well that's kinda bass ackwards....you'll have to cut out some of the new deck to access the transom....plus what about the stringers and bulkheads ? Are they OK?

Darren b

Seaman

I can not change the transom without leaving the deck alone? I know the motor mount will be a problem ( 91 Bayliner Classic 19') thanks ps how do I post pics thanks